Smoking my first "BIG" brisket- any tips?

Here it is about 0230 when it hit 171. It's now 0705 and at 199... these last few degrees are going to be the toughest! lol

About 0400 a fog started rolling it. It's the first time I've seen a fog come in, I watched it across the street and as it came over to our house. Pretty neat!

And it dropped to 40 degrees outside. Brrrrrrr!

462550964_469165685474039_7744875487686821643_n.jpg

That is good looking 👍.
I’m kinda jelly though .
Nobody offers that point only cut where I’m at.
We went to a local butcher and he offered points or full briskets. The full was about 5 lbs more, we talked about how many people were coming (about 10) so he suggested just getting the point. We should have plenty... I hope. My youngest is home from college this weekend and he's already talking about making stuff with the leftovers. lol

The butcher we went to had both full briskets and points. We discussed how many people were coming and he thought the point would be a better choice.

Pulled it off at 207 degrees at 0758. Resting wrapped in a towel in the cooler til about noon or so.

When I broke the smoker down to clean the grates I was surprised there was still water in the bowl! I've smoked shorter sessions and it's ran dry/had to be refilled, so it was interesting that it didn't this time.

Thanks again to everyone who offered advice. It was really helpful!

Last edited:
Yeah, it’s packer or flat around here too! I suppose it’s regional.
I kind of figure if I’m setting up the smoker, I want maximum return on time invested, looked at a 19# prime packer at Costco the other day but, I don’t need another freezer filler! I’m trying to use things up!

Good looking, for sure.

Costco offers whole brisket at around $4/lb, point and flats for about $9/lb. At that price point, I'll buy the whole shootin' match and break it down myself.
They don’t do that here, I don’t know why. Sometimes they will have flats but, I’ve never seen just points. Considering the way this crowd eats, it’s just as well that I get full packers! Yeah, it might take a little longer but, when my granddaughters eyes light up when I say “Brisket” I am always happy!

Back