Smoking fish on a Genesis

Bruce

TVWBB 2-Star Olympian
I thought about posting this in the WSM section, but that seems to be for WSM smokers specifically.

I have never smoked anything before. But, I have always wanted to. I just never got around to doing it. Now, I have a Genesis 1000 in my garage that was a curb pickup and will be repaired and refurbished and become my new toy. I don't really need it as I have a Q100 that is all my wife and I need. But, I want to redo the redhead Genny 1000 for fun. Anyway, I figured one of the things I could use it for was to do some smoking. (Please don't suggest I get a dedicated WSM or other smoker). But, I love smoked fish and thought it would be a great way to make some of my own smoked fish. It is so expensive in the supermarket. I figure a 10lb carp would make some great slabs of smoked fish.
So, if I got a Weber Smoker Box or just used a drip pan with a tinfoil cover, would cooking some smoked fish be doable on the Genesis 1000 readhead? If so, any tips on how to do it?

Oh, and yes, I definitely can envision a couple racks of ribs and other cuts of meat being smoked as well.
Thanks,
Bruce

I have never touched carp but I used to go salmon fishing in Lake Michigan quite often. I have smoked my catches on my old Genesis I had

Yah, no salmon around here. I would certainly like to throw a few big salmon fillets on the Weber. I am thinking maybe some Sheepshead (Freshwater Drum) as well. I did some googling and found recipies for both. I also see that Weber makes a "smoker box" for our gas grills as well. I will probably spring for one when I get ready to smoke a batch of fish. They are only $21 and available locally.

Yah, I considered that as well. I see where some guys just use an aluminum disposable drip pan and put some tin foil over the top of it. I will probably start with that kind of setup to see if I like it and want to continue to try to smoke stuff in the grill. If I do, then maybe I will invest in the wood chip fire box.

Back