Smoking Cookbooks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jeff S.

TVWBB Fan
I am considering purchasing a cookbook specifically for smoking different types of foods.
There is alot of books out there on the market such as,,,Smoke & Spice,,,Paul Kirk's Championship Barbecue Sauces,,,John Willingham's World Champion Bar-B-Q,,,, and several others.
Does anyone have a good recommendation on a good smoking cookbook?
I plan on mainly doing meats,and not veggies or fruits.
Thanks all.

Well, of the ones you mention I prefer Kirk's 175 sauces & rubs. However, my absolute favorite reference for bbq is the bbq faq.
http://www.bbq-porch.org/faq.asp

I printed this and put it into a binder and, without a doubt, it is the most used resource I have (besides the online forums).

There is anther good book titles something like 'grilling' even though he mostly does bbq. I'll have to go find it for the exact title.

I just got 2 new books from Barnes and Noble today: BBQing and Sausage-Making Secrets by Charlie and Ruthie Knote and Where There's Smoke, there's Flavor by Richard Langer.

I'll let you know after I've read them.

I really like Paul Kirks Championship BBQ sauce book, great recipes and a good primer to start developing your own rub/sauce. Smoke and Spice has a lot of good recipes in it too. Except the cook temps/times are waaaaay off. Too short and not hot enough. So if you get the book you will need to adjust your temp and time accordingly.

Since I live in Sweden, it's rather hard to come by BBQ books easily, but fortunately my parents currently are visiting our friends in Los Angeles (who carried my WSM from USA to Sweden, btw), and I have ordered four books from Amazon.com (via TVWB's links, of course) and I'm really looking forward to their delivery here on Sunday (17/4) (from Amazon's shipping e-mail):

* Legends of Texas Barbecue Cook... $13.27
* Paul Kirk's Championship Barbeq... $9.56
* Smoke & Spice: Cooking With Sm... $11.87
* Barbecue! Bible : Sauces, Rubs... $10.36

I already have Weber's Big Book of Grilling, and the four recipees I've tried worked out great! However many of the recipees in that one aren't for indirect heat...

I've also ordered jeans from sheplers.com ($20). They cost about $80-90 here...

Good luck (and thanks blyons200 for the advice on time/temp with Kirk's book)!

/Tomas

Tomas,

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> (and thanks blyons200 for the advice on time/temp with Kirk's book)!

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>that was for Smoke and Spice. /infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

Do you guys us water or sand when you smoke cookbooks? /infopop/emoticons/icon_cool.gif (sorry, couldnt resist)

Jeff, another book of interest is "The Great American Barbecue & Grilling Manual" by Smoky Hale. It's pretty informative. The guy is opinionated but enjoyable. It's available at barbecue-store.com. Cliff

Any thoughts about Steve Raichlen's "How To Grill"? Browsed through it and found a lot of smoker techniques.

Mark

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back