Smoking chicken :)

Dave Wr.

TVWBB Member
Smoked some chicken and it was fabulous!!! Did a HH with some cherry and apple wood for about 1.5 hrs - I love this smoker!
wsmsmile8gm.gif

Great Chicken!

They look really good, Dave, and great color.

Tell you what, though. You're wsm will get more stubborn if it hasn't already in reaching high temps as it gets more seasoned. Of course you can crack the door, but I find it's just easier to butterfly or cook vertically only two birds on one of my kettles at 375*+. Putting the largest of three butterflied or split birds on the bottom wsm grate will get you leftovers, but be careful putting two down there because of the outer heat zone. I have good results cooking low-n-slow with four 3-4 lb butterflied birds on and water in the pan, though....Legs pointed opposite directions and breasts almost touching at the center of the grate. Water helps keep the bone side moister, too, but HH is really good for the crisp skin. I just won't try it with four birds on and don't even think my wsm can reach 375*.

Thanks for the advice Dave!
I was also using the chickens as a cheap but tasty way to coat the insides of the WSM. I will also try them on a low cook but I do like a crispy skin - maybe I'll finish under the broiler
icon_smile.gif

One of these days I'm gonna use my torch on my birds after smoking, but they always look so good I don't want to mess 'em up!

Great looking chicken. My WSM is well seasoned and I can hit 400F with an empty pan and a few hot chimneys of lit. Caramel coloured beercan chicken in 90 minutes. Just watch the wood since it can easily get oversmoked/acrid tasting.

Thanks James, It tasted great also and thanks for the advice
icon_smile.gif
I tried using less wood on the next HH chicken and it didn't have the nice deep color as the previous cook nor the same "smokey" flavor. This is definately an area I'll need lots of practice - knowing how much wood to use and how the different types effect/flavor different meats.

Back