Smoking cheese this weekend

John Neuser

TVWBB Fan
So I've been doing my homework on this great site and I think I'm ready to try smoking cheese, hard boiled eggs and salt this weekend and I'd like your thoughts, comments and suggestions. Here's my plan:
1. Use the big WSM because I want to dissipate as much heat as possible.
2. Light about 6 briquettes in a coffee can. Place tinfoil pouch of wood chips on top. Not sure which flavor to use. Suggestions?
3. Put a bunch of ice in the pan to keep temperature down
4. On rack directly over ice place cheese, eggs and salt
5. Put the lid on and let it smoke for 60 - 90 minutes. Do you think that's enough time?
6. Wrap the cheese and eggs in Saran Wrap and age. Cheese for two weeks, eggs for one and salt ready for use immediately.

Thanks for reading. Any and all suggestions and comments would be appreciated.

I recommend apple wood and to smoke for no more than an hour. I only use 4 pieces of charcoal. If you like more smoke flavor then by all means smoke for longer than an hour.

I have read a number of articles but not yet done it so all I can say is what I have read. Two hours smoke for the cheese. Alder or apple for smoke, rest two weeks. I know nothing about the eggs or the salt.

Good luck!

I did it for no more than an hour. only lit a few charcoals. did not need a can. The WSM holds temps nicely. I suggest only doing an hour for the first time. Also the longer you store it in the fridge the more time the smoke penetrates into the cheese. I found when i tried to eat the cheese too soon it was bitter, but after 7 days in the fridge it tasted great. 2 weeks should be good. I don't know about eggs.

I have my second batch of cold smoked cheese aging in the refrigerator (vacuum packed) as we speak.

I used the Amazen Smoke generator, apple wood pellets, and smoked for two hours. I did one egg and only aged it for three or four days (didn't want it to spoil and I was not sure how long it would stay good). I liked the egg, a lot, but my wife thought it had an unpleasant smoke aftertaste.

Everyone I have had taste the cheese has raved about it and went back for more. I did aged white cheddar, Brie, Gouda, Pepper Jack, and Colby/Jack. They were all home runs. I can recommend the Amazen smoke generator without reservation. I have a 14.5 WSM and a Mini-Joe and bought the 6" smoke generator. This gives two hours of smoke without refilling and is a perfect size for the smaller smokers. Frankly, I think it would work just fine in the 22.5 WSM but I don't have one to try. I also have an 18.5" WSM but haven't used it, as yet.

I believe it is important to limit the size of the individual chunks of cheese if you want good smoke penetration. My preference is about 1" thick, 2" wide, and four inches long. Brie, I just removed the "crust" top and sides and went with it's native size as it was about 4" in diameter and 1" thick (maybe a little bigger, just a guess). It's easy to cut them to size regardless of how big a chunk you start with. Just cut the cheese before you put it in the smoker.

When the cheese is finished, I suggest you let it rest on the kitchen counter for a couple of hours until the condensation on the cheese evaporates. Then, WITHOUT TOUCHING IT WITH YOUR FINGERS, vacuum pack it for the refrigerator. Use gloves or tongs as you don't want to create conditions for growing mold on the cheese (touching it will sometimes do that). If you don't have a vacuum packer, then double bagging it in zip lock bags should work.

DO NOT PUT SMOKED CHEESE IN THE REFRIGERATOR BEFORE YOU BAG IT - YOU WILL BE SORRY. It'll smoke everything, including the refrigerator itself, if you fail to bag it first.

If you pay attention to details, it is the easiest smoke you'll do.

Keep on smokin',
Dale53

Last edited:
I would not keep the smoked eggs for a week in the fridge. Just 2 or 3 days. Try using them for smokey egg salad sandwiches!

For cheese, Keep your heat below 95°. 6 briquettes may be to many to start. Try 2, plus a fist sized chunk of wood split into 3rds. Use apple, pecan or cherry wood. Ice in pan may be unnecessary (but it won't hurt) if outside/ambient temperature is below 50°.
1 hour will give good smoke flavor. If you have a bunch of cheese, go 1 hour with some, and 2 hours with some. After your designated time has elapsed, pull cheese and set in a cool place/counter (not in refrigerator) for an hour or so to dry a bit.
Wrap chunks tightly in plastic wrap, vacuum seal & refrigerate 7 days minimum.
I've done 4 or 5 batches of various cheeses over the last 3 months, as I gotta do it when cool in Phoenix metro. It's a no go for cheese smoking past February, as ambient temps are at 60° to 80° & can't hold below 95°.
You'll love smokes cheese.

Eggs?? No clue.... sorry.

Salt.... don't smoke salt with your cheese. Salt takes more smoke and much longer smoking times.
I did salt this last winter, using Hickory wood and kosher salt. It took over 6 hours of smoking and tending the wood.
I will link to the way I did it and the salt came out good, but maybe more smoke time was needed.
I got about 1cup of salt on the run. Probably started with 1.5 cups as much fell through my splatter screen. Maybe sea salt is more course.
Smoked salt link ... http://www.theroguegourmet.com/ it may take a few extra seconds to load...
Have a blast!!!

Thanks for the suggestions guys. I can't wait to give it a shot. Great thing about BBQ and smoking is that even if you mess it up it's probably still edible AND it's not that expensive. I'll probably steer away from the salt for now. Temp is not supposed to be out of the 20s this weekend so maybe I'll skip the ice.

Last edited:
If it's going to be a cold weekend, you could start with a couple extra briquettes, and pull them as your temps rise.
I've never had the opportunity to smoke cheese ..... or anything, below 45° outside temperature. :D

Back