Smoking after church.......

Becky M-M

TVWBB Pro
With this heat I have not been cooking outside..... And I have the itch.... Bad!

So, I am wanting to smoke a butt. Can't do it today, so would have to be tomorrow after church. I would take it out of the fridge, it would ready to go already, before I left about 10:15 am..... I would probably get it on about 1pm.

I do more of a high heat than 225.....so, about 300 or so....And I'm thinking of getting a 10#, but might have to do an 8 pounder if I have to.

I'd like it to be ready to eat by 7pm or so....... Possible?

Also....this is KETTLE smoked not WSM...... FYI

Becky,
Will this help?

Mine was a 6 hour cook, and a 1 hour rest.
Cook times can vary on butts, so you probably will be cutting it close.

ha.... just a few posts down, should have looked lol

the one i am getting is bone-in, i wonder if i could try cutting it in half?... that might speed it up a bit.

that finishing sauce sounds easy and good... i might try it. would the "chicken stock/broth" part work with the drippings from the butt? could put them in a separator so it wont be too greasy.

Cook at 325-350 and foil it 1/2 way, I don't usually foil, to speed things up. When pulling there might be a little more fat than your used to but just separate that out by hand.

Originally posted by Bob Sample:
Cook at 325-350 and foil it 1/2 way, I don't usually foil, to speed things up. When pulling there might be a little more fat than your used to but just separate that out by hand.

ahhhh... the great foil debate! will i lose the bark? thats half the goodness right there...

Hey from across the creek. Which way's the wind blowing today, wonder if I can catch a whiff or two?

It'll definitely cook faster with foil, but I really prefer the bark on the non-foiled Butts.

Originally posted by Tom_M:
Hey from across the creek. Which way's the wind blowing today, wonder if I can catch a whiff or two?

It'll definitely cook faster with foil, but I really prefer the bark on the non-foiled Butts.

actually im on the Sunny Side too.... but put "Looavull" since its my closest big city....little grocery store over here has butts for 1.49 lb so its a good time to do it.

edit: forgot to add about the foiling:

im not a fan of foiling either because i dont like the steaming effect.....

im wondering if i could cook 2 hrs with smoke... foil for another 2hrs... then a final hour to crisp up again... but my heat might not be strong enough towards the end to work the bark up again... dont know about that one....

Originally posted by Becky M-M:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Tom_M:

actually im on the Sunny Side too.... but put "Looavull" since its my closest big city....little grocery store over here has butts for 1.49 lb so its a good time to do it.

im wondering if i could cook 2 hrs with smoke... foil for another 2hrs... then a final hour to crisp up again... but my heat might not be strong enough towards the end to work the bark up again... dont know about that one.... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Olde Towne Grocery by chance? I've got a few from them in the past and they were pretty good.

Since you're on a time crunch foiling is probably going to be necessary, or go with really high temps like 300+. But I don't have experience with a kettle so that may be too high to use without burning it.

Originally posted by Tom_M:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Becky M-M:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Tom_M:

im wondering if i could cook 2 hrs with smoke... foil for another 2hrs... then a final hour to crisp up again... but my heat might not be strong enough towards the end to work the bark up again... dont know about that one.... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Olde Towne Grocery by chance? I've got a few from them in the past and they were pretty good.

Since you're on a time crunch foiling is probably going to be necessary, or go with really high temps like 300+. But I don't have experience with a kettle so that may be too high to use without burning it. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yep..... olde towne grocery...butts are good there...and usually run good sales on them. It the only place I get pork steak too.

They used to have chuck eyes, but not anymore boo. I usually find them at the save-a-lot on 10th....but they don't carry many at a time. When I see them, I grab them!

Yeah I'm thinking I'm going to foil at two hours.

Back