Smokin' cheese

John Neuser

TVWBB Fan
I've been jones'in to smoke some cheese for a while. Today I pulled the trigger BUT I think I might be disappointed. The details are:
I have a WSM 22"
My test cheeses were three 1# mozzeralles, 2# block of pepper jack that I cut in half lengthwise, one 1# piece of cheddar and 5 hard boiled eggs.
Outside temp was 23 degrees
I started with 4 briquettes. I lit two with propane torch and placed the other two on top of them. On that I placed a package of cherry wood chip. When it started to smoke I put on the cheese and covered the smoker.
Two of the three vents were closed. The third was half open. The fire ultimately went out. I then lit 6 more briquettes with another packet of cherry wood chips. It smoked slightly for about 30 minutes. I then pulled the cheeses and eggs, let them rest to let any condensation evaporate and wrapped them in saran wrap and put them in the refrigerator. There was very little color on the cheeses.

For those of you that have smoked cheeses, do they have any color. My cheeses smell smokey.

Thank you.

I have only smoked cheese twice recently. I used the "Amazen" smoke generator (the 6" one). I used Applewood pellets supplied by Amazen and smoked for two hours in my Mini-Joe (the mini seems perfect for smoking cheese. You can do quite a bit of cheese at a time and it is easily handled.

I really like the smoke generator (simply a stainless steel tube with a cap on each end with one of the caps "open" to light the pellets. I left all vents open (when you are generating just a small amount of heat, it is REALLY important to insure good ventilation as there will be little chimney effect - failure to do this, will often result in the fire going out). I learned this through research but it makes real sense to me.

I also believe in cutting the cheese to reasonable size chunks to insure enough smoke penetration.

The cheese will be VERY smoky right off the smoker and should not even be tasted at that time. Take great pains to make sure none of the smoke leaks out of the package or it'll be inside everything in your refrigerator for a VERY long time (and the refrigerator itself). We vacuum pack all of the cheese after resting on the counter for a couple of hours to allow the condensation to disappear. Then we put in the refrigerator for two weeks for the cheese to age. THEN, you can taste it. We have had EXCELLENT results with our smoked cheese and it has been well received by a diverse group of people.

http://tvwbb.com/showthread.php?48136-Cold-Smoking-Cheese-on-the-Mini-Joe-Gold

Keep on smokin',
Dale53:wsm:

We smoke on WSM and kettle. Trick is to get smoke but no heat. Easier with WSM, charcoal further away.

Robert is entirely correct on wrapping, storing, etc.

Never really noticed a big color change.

Thanks for the responses. I looked at the Amazen smoke generator. If I even halfway like the way the cheese comes out I'll probably add one to my inventory. Two weeks, whew!!

My smoked cheeses have come out great, really gotta look to notice a color difference. I think you'll be good. Just make sure to wait at least a week...2 would be better.

John;
Here is a piece of Smoked Gouda I "Liberated" from quarantine today. You will note that it has darkened a bit while aging (compared to when it was first vacuum packed about two weeks ago):

Now:

Unfortunately, I don't have a photo of this latest smoke to compare. However, if you look at my other post you'll see that the cheese has darkened a bit compared to the after smoke picture of THAT smoke.

Now, in this particular case, using the Amazen smoke generator (6") in my Mini-Joe with Applewood pellets for two hours, this rather ordinary Gouda, took on a whole 'nother dimension. I would say it is dramatically better in flavor. Strangely enough, the texture is improved, also. Since the cheese never really got warm (it was in the forties outdoors and the smoke generator doesn't produce much heat) I can't really explain it but it is true, nonetheless. You should get similar results using your method.

I am really pleased with the cold smoked cheese that I have produced. It is possible that those with a more sensitive palette may prefer slightly less smoke, etc. but I am MORE than happy with my results. Of course, YMMV. The beauty of it, YOU can totally control amount of smoke, which wood you prefer, and other variables.

Keep on smokin',

I have a suggestion for those that are doing the first or second cold smoke cheese project. Choose a type of cheese that strikes your fancy. Cut it into three equal chunks of about the size you intend to later smoke. Get your smoker set up and put all three chunks on at the same time. Pull one at one hour, one at two hours, and one at three hours. Package them an put in the refrigerator for two weeks (that's the hard part - waiting). Then, get your taste panel assembled and open all three packs of cheese and compare them. That will tell you definitively the amount of smoke you and yours prefer.

Just a thought or two...

Keep on smokin',

Back