Smokey Joe?

Lance L

TVWBB Fan
Was thinking about picking up a Smokey Joe for when the wife and I want a quick Steak.

Do you have a Smokey Joe and if so what/how do you cook on it?

For me , I use it for Burgers , hot dogs , chicken parts , CSR's , kielbasa , steak , anything hot n fast really. It's ideal for a weeknight cookout when it's just the two of you. I just fire up a small chimney of briquettes and go right at it.

yes, and I also bought one for my sister last year. perfect for a couple of steaks. and needs only 23-26 briquettes. dang. its a good decision and you'll find its easy and convenient for those occasions.

[/URL]

[/URL]

don't lift the lid...

If you have the storage space I recommend buying the new Jumbo Joe, instead of the Smokey Joe Silver. It's about 20 bucks more, similar design, and about as equally efficient in terms of fuel usage - but about 25% more capacity. 14.5 vs 18.5 inch cooking grids.

The Jumbo Joe is one of those grills that's 'great-to-have-for-one-or-two', but has the capacity to easily feed 4-5.

If you have the storage space I recommend buying the new Jumbo Joe, instead of the Smokey Joe Silver. It's about 20 bucks more, similar design, and about as equally efficient in terms of fuel usage - but about 25% more capacity. 14.5 vs 18.5 inch cooking grids.

The Jumbo Joe is one of those grills that's 'great-to-have-for-one-or-two', but has the capacity to easily feed 4-5.

Agree.
I had a SJ, but the extra space for indirect led me to buy a SJP.

Tim

I love my Smokey Joe Gold... It's great when I need to do something really quick and it's just for me. I do a lot of my steaks indirect and then reverse sear, so it depends on the size of steak.

However, for burgers, dogs or some chicken breast it's perfect. You'll love it.

CM

Do you have a Smokey Joe and if so what/how do you cook on it?

Yup, 2 of them. Both Craigslist freebies. :) I don't ever fire it up to use as it was designed, but use it a lot as a mini-wsm. As a matter of fact, did a spatchcock chicken tonight & a couple of sweet taters. After the 'smoke' session, I'll place the cooking grate on the bowl and finish with a direct sear.

Most likely, I'll fire it up this weekend for a pork butt. Very handy to have around.

A0BEC8B0-4A15-4123-8755-EE590FEF057F-5980-0000028C0CD97014.jpg

I have an SJS that I picked up new for $10 about 10 years ago. When I'm grilling for just the wife and myself, I use this grill. I also made the mini-WSM mod and use it more now than I do my MES. I only get out the MES for very large smokes.

I still use my OTG 22.5 for offset grilling and some smoking when I cook for more people.

Personally, I like the size of the SJS because it is easily portable. I don't see the value in the extra size because when I do offset cooks, I use the 22.5 OTG.

JMO/YMMV etc

I use mine mainly as a mini WSM, but sometimes for the occasional brats or burgers and dogs.

Lance - yes, I have a Smokey Joe Silver, and I love to cook smaller amounts of food than what I would normally use my One Touch Silver. If I don't need to heat up my larger kettle, I just go for the mini kettle. I've used it for both direct and indirect cooks (mostly sausages and one or two pieces of chicken).

Cheers!
Barret

Well I picked up a Smokey Joe Silver lastnight. The only think will be a problem is the vent seems like it will fill up with ash but time will tell.

I got a Smokey Joe Gold for Christmas...thanks Santa! I plan on using it for smaller cooks and especially when we want to roast vegetables. I also want to get some CI grates for the SJG.

My Smokey Joe is old enough to have the wood handles, I like it a lot. It is nicer to cook on than my Goes Anywhere Charcoal model.
Its great for just about anything you might cook on a kettle, just smaller quantities. It sits nicely on a picnic table, dont have to get on
the ground to use it that way. Only thing that I have not seen for it yet is a little rotiss.

How much coal and what vent settings are y'all using for high temp cooks? I put 30 lit coals and open vents but couldn't get the temp up at all.

How much coal and what vent settings are y'all using for high temp cooks? I put 30 lit coals and open vents but couldn't get the temp up at all.

I never count charcoals... I light almost a full chimney, wait until flames are coming out and the top rows are just starting to turn white. I then will dump the chimney into the Smokey Joe, spread them around and let it sit, with the lid off for 10 minutes or so. I'll then turn and mix the coals, put the cooking grid on.

I only use the Smokey Joe for hot and fast, grilling. Never cook with the lid on.

I never count charcoals... I light almost a full chimney, wait until flames are coming out and the top rows are just starting to turn white. I then will dump the chimney into the Smokey Joe, spread them around and let it sit, with the lid off for 10 minutes or so. I'll then turn and mix the coals, put the cooking grid on.

I only use the Smokey Joe for hot and fast, grilling. Never cook with the lid on.

Cooking with the lid off did the trick for high heat fast cooks!

Thanks Lance

I've had my Smokey for years. I do direct cooks or indirect cooks. It's great for doing a couple baked potatoes, vegetables, burgers or dogs. It used to be my go to grill for travel but my Jumbo Joe has taken over that role. Good luck.

Back