Smokey Joe Platinum issues

I contacted Weber to ask them about it, or if they were aware of the flaw. But they don't even make it anymore, and this could be the reason why. So it's doubtful that they're going to reply to me. But who knows, maybe they'll toss in some accessories as an act of goodwill! We'll see. I wouldn't mind making the mods, but if you look at the bottom of the kettle, it's very close to the ground already, so there isn't a lot of room for a pizza pan but maybe a small insulated bowl or perhaps a ceramic pan or something like that. I'll be sure to post some pics if/when I do.
I meant just set the who grill on a pizza pan, or other flat, fireproof, substance . . .

BD

Many years ago there was a thread on here about how to set up the SJP (or jumbo joe) with charcoal for different zones.
I did search but couldn't find.

Many years ago there was a thread on here about how to set up the SJP (or jumbo joe) with charcoal for different zones.
I did search but couldn't find.
Tim, when I want to do a two zone fire with the JJ I just use one of the performer charcoal baskets I even picked up an extra one at a garage sale for it.
Works great.

I have had mine since 2002 and cooked a lot of meals on it in the woods. Still use it to this day as it is a little deeper and the dome is a little taller than the current JJ.

Heat as always been a bit of an issue with this cooker due to the location and size of the vents. What I do to get the heat up and not burn up the coals to fast is to completely close off one side of the side vents and off set the lid on the closed side of the cooker. This forces the heat up more towards the cooking grate.

I see your SJP is missing the side dampers. Might try this technique by shoving a ball of foil in each vent on the side you want closed. Also on the open side I don’t always have it wide open since the holes are large. Might try covering one on the open side to see if that helps.

For the 2 zone cooking Rich suggested I found a pair of the older wire style charcoal dividers that I prefer since it takes up a little less room. Not sure if those are still out there or not, but does work well.

Edit… added a few photos. Cracked lid on closed side. Also the wire divider next to the current charcoal basket
IMG_3170.jpegIMG_3171.jpegIMG_3172.jpeg

Last edited:
I can't remember the last time I cooked with my SJP...I wouldn't be surprised if it's been 15 years or more! I should dig it out and fire it up again, so I can remember why I stopped using it.;)

I gave the bottom vent mod some thought back in the day, but ultimately decided against it. To be honest, if I needed a portable 18" Weber these days I'd be more likely to build a set of short legs for a standard kettle.

I had the same model with the same issue. My friend has the other model with the daisy wheel on the bottom and his issue is ash clogging the vent but it did get hotter than mine as airflow came from under the coals. I sold it and went with the Charcoal Go-Anywhere and like it so much better. It is a much more versatile cooker and a much better design IMHO.

I had the same model with the same issue. My friend has the other model with the daisy wheel on the bottom and his issue is ash clogging the vent but it did get hotter than mine as airflow came from under the coals. I sold it and went with the Charcoal Go-Anywhere and like it so much better. It is a much more versatile cooker and a much better design IMHO.
I've got an older 14" with the daisy wheel on the bottom, and just used it for the first time in years last night. It's always had a problem of the charcoal snuffing out early, and after reading this, noticed this morning, the bottom vent was clogged with ash and small chunks of unburned charcoal. After some quick research, I'm going to try a tuna can trick I found. I drilled 8 half inch holes around the sides of the tuna can, and will turn it upside down, over the bottom kettle vents. This should keep the vents clear of ash and charcoal bits, while still allowing plenty of ventilation. The only issue I think I'll run into with the can, is how insanely thin they make the cans now.

David

I've got an older 14" with the daisy wheel on the bottom, and just used it for the first time in years last night. It's always had a problem of the charcoal snuffing out early, and after reading this, noticed this morning, the bottom vent was clogged with ash and small chunks of unburned charcoal. After some quick research, I'm going to try a tuna can trick I found. I drilled 8 half inch holes around the sides of the tuna can, and will turn it upside down, over the bottom kettle vents. This should keep the vents clear of ash and charcoal bits, while still allowing plenty of ventilation. The only issue I think I'll run into with the can, is how insanely thin they make the cans now.

David
I did see a few "remedies" for the ash problem, but really liked the WGA better. I wonder why Weber left some models go without any innovation or improvement for so long. I would think adding a little ash sweep and P shaped vents to the SJ would be a huge improvement.

I have a SJP, and 10 years back came across a "fix" to the airflow issue. I took an empty cat food can, used a bottle opener to punch holes, and put it on top of the lower vents. It fixed the airflow problem for me. Still, I think the grate is far too close to the coal bed. I almost never use this one.IMG_3693.jpgIMG_3695.jpgIMG_3696.jpg

Whoa Nellie!
You say you bought this in 1998 and you’re only NOW figuring out that you’ve not figured out how to maximize heat?
Pal, I don’t think I can help. I’m going to pour a nightcap and go to bed. 😉
You will figure it out or buy a different grill.

I'm late to the reply, but you may want to browse the Smokey Joe Mini WSM There are a number of Smokey Joe mods that will allow for longer slower burns, increased charcoal capacity and even a bottom vent mod to control the burn off.

I've got an off brand 14 1/2" kettle with the same basic design that I bought for under $20 new. It works great for direct heat fast cooks like burgers, sausages and thinner steaks as long as the coals are fully lit before you put the meat on, and you leave the lid off when cooking. That's what I bought it for, and it works well. Can't expect much more.

I'm late to the reply, but you may want to browse the Smokey Joe Mini WSM There are a number of Smokey Joe mods that will allow for longer slower burns, increased charcoal capacity and even a bottom vent mod to control the burn off.
Chad, Thanks for posting the link for the mini. I made one back in the day and kind of miss it. I have two jumbo joes and a smoky joe that I picked up at a garage sale for $20 for all three and one JJ was only used once... couldn't say no to that deal. Been thinking about building another mini just for fun as it would work great just for the wife and I. But for the life of me I couldn't find that link for the minis.
Now I don't have an excuse. :)

Last edited:

Back