Smokey joe - charcoal goes out

Mark Foreman

TVWBB All-Star
I am on my 2nd Smokey joe. 1st one I bought 20 plus years ago. It got replace with a kettle when we had kids. I bought the 2nd one bout 6months ago. a
As soon as I put the lid on it, the charcoal goes out. The bottom vent is fully open and not clogged with ash.

what gives.....

Charcoal would be my first guess as well. Mark, is the same thing happening with different bags and/or brands?

Yes
i currently use Kingsford competition. Tried lump as well and had the same result. Got frustrated enough that I quit using. My performer is overkill for 2 people.
Found it in the back of the garage and want to give it another try.

If it's happening with different charcoals then I'd look at some sort of airflow issue. Could you please post a couple of photos of the grill? Thanks!

Can you give us more detail about your starting method?

Weber sells a small charcoal starter that works great. Or use the normal one flipped upside down (the grate turns into a V cup). I like the rutland starter squares, but the weber ones work fine also. I have used the tumbleweed starters and notice they can burn out pretty quick - before the charcoal is fully lit. You want to have 4-5 coals at least pretty rip roaring hot. Then dump those on top of whatever is in the smokey joe. Ultimately, the SJ has plenty of airflow to keep coals going, it has to be something with your process.

Yes
i currently use Kingsford competition. Tried lump as well and had the same result. Got frustrated enough that I quit using. My performer is overkill for 2 people.
Found it in the back of the garage and want to give it another try.

In my opinion, lump can be a little tricky to use in very small quantities. Stacked the wrong way and it's more likely to fizzle out. Briquettes should be working fine, especially competition/professional

Brad ... Still owe you pictures.

SJ is stock.

I use small chimney. Fill it to the top. I wait till I have ash on all coals.
dump coal, spread out in the middle of the coal grate for direct, 1 side for indirect. Both vents fully open.
Have had the issue with KBB, Kingsford Competition, Royal Oak lump, Royal oak briquettes.

I live in northern CA. We've not had rain since March and temps have been in the mid 80s. I do not think it’s a wet charcoal problem. Haven‘t had much chance to experiment due to the wild fires. We are having spare the air days (no burning, grilling, etc.) for close to a week. Bad air quality due to the smoke has kept us indoors.

Wife and I are safe however As LNC complex fire is north and east of us....

Last night I lit up a Small Weber Charcoal Chimney-full on my Weber Performer Deluxe fitted with the SlowNSear Plus and DripNGriddle Pan for two(2) portions of Salmon and two(2) Ears of Corn for just the Wife and I. I also have the Weber Smoky Joe but it is more of a hassle to light-it-up than my WPD fitted with the Propane Ignitor. For us the WPD is not "overkill" when just two(2) people want some grilled meat.

So, my suggestion is to use your bigger Weber fitted with a SlowNSear.

Last edited:
I like your comment Richard, that’s exactly how I use my Over performer! You don’t need to use a whale of a lot of charcoal if you don’t really need it. I basically use the 22 all the time, using my (rcplanebuyer) baskets in the indirect format then shut down when I take things off. Then there is enough life to only need a half charge for the next cook.

I know someone on here knew a lot about SJ's ( George Curtis?) And IIRC he would put foil on the coal grate on the indirect side.
That forces the bottom air to stoke the coals, not the food when you put the lid on.
I have a SJP or jumbo joe with the side vents, and I know when I put the lid on the coals start to die.
I leave the lid off as much as possible.

Brad

pictures as promised. everything is covered in ash from wild fires.

Attachments

• 9CAB9E59-D103-470C-B9A8-17932E902B25.jpeg
    9CAB9E59-D103-470C-B9A8-17932E902B25.jpeg
    95.2 KB · Views: 20
  • 9A330CD8-52C7-422C-BBB9-E3F09B5E298E.jpeg
    9A330CD8-52C7-422C-BBB9-E3F09B5E298E.jpeg
    138.5 KB · Views: 21
  • F1C067DB-B53F-4972-B32E-9DCB5F138A0F.jpeg
    F1C067DB-B53F-4972-B32E-9DCB5F138A0F.jpeg
    107.3 KB · Views: 19

Back