Smokey Joe #10020 and capacity

tjkoko

TVWBB All-Star
I'm a bit fatigued with maintaining my Lodge Sportsman Grill and am considering replacing it with a Weber Smokey Joe #10020 (WSJ). With indirect cooking, will the WSJ easily accomodate two chicken halves?

Mine is 14". Yeah I know, it's like a fish story......anyways 3 burgers is a trick, mine is hot and hard to cook on unless its mostly or all direct and everything cooks fast. Chicken would scare me on it, unless you built a tiny 4" X 4" bed of coals and continuously maintained that for temp.
I only used it maybe a dozen times before I upgraded to my performer as well.

I'm a bit fatigued with maintaining my Lodge Sportsman Grill and am considering replacing it with a Weber Smokey Joe #10020 (WSJ). With indirect cooking, will the WSJ easily accomodate two chicken halves?
I find the Weber go-anywhere is easier to do indirect cooking on. Her is a review. Check out YouTube for lots of indirect cooks. You can even make risers and diffusers for it as well.

I would be more likely to choose that option too.
Honestly I could rig up a mini smoke with that thing right there.
Now we of course have to deal wit the size but I think I could get a 2.5 pound picanha on there and rig it up so the heat is indirect.
Maybe not, I don't have one to try it on but it sounds like it would work.

One of the standard baby baskets would probably work well in that bad boy, as long as it isn't super tapered at the bottom half.

Yeah they come standard in pairs when you buy pretty much any full size grill......well at least both mine came with them anyways.
I don't think you can buy just one, but if you were going to do just direct over the coals cooking then you wouldn't require this basket.
I do a lot of indirect cooks, it helps keep the coal all piled up together out of the way. Nice for stuff like crispy skin chicken or a smaller roast that you only cook to about 125 degrees....
Those ones there are 25% of the price of the bbq though, that is a tough buy.

I have a smoky joe and had a jumbo Joe that I deeply regret selling. It was perfect for two or more people direct or indirect. Super easy to clean and yes the baskets work fine in the jumbo joe. I'm looking for another Jumbo Joe so I don't have to fire up the performer to grill a steak.
What's been said about the smoky joe is pretty much true, basically a hot dog cooker.

Yeah, I was going to suggest Jumbo Joe is you want a portable round grill, the 18" diameter gives you space for an indirect fire.

I cooked for many years on a Go-Anywhere charcoal grill, but always direct heat. They're a good little cooker.

I've use several methods to cook indirect on the Smokey Joe Silver.

I've used a grill extender covered with foil.
02.jpg

I've used a tamale pot steamer insert leftover from a mini-WSM build and a pizza stone.
03.jpg

I've used a pizza pan with a toaster oven roasting pan on top.
04.jpg

The best spatchcock chicken I've had was when I used the 12" pizza pan inverted.
05.jpg

And as mentioned earlier, you can use a single Char-Basket in the Jumbo Joe. (The Smokey Joe Premium is pictured here.)
06.jpg

The Go Anywhere is a good option, as well. You can't really go wrong with any of the three.
07.jpg

My favourite is doing a whole chicken on a Smokey Joe (good heat and minimal fuel).

Either spatchcocked (with a pizza pan and foil tray as a heat shield)

IMG_1598.JPG

Or a whole one offset lower in the bowl

IMG_2843.JPG

And as said by others the Go Anywhere has a better layout for indirect which works as well - I just prefer the smokey joe as don't have to fold out the weber GA feet
IMG_0235.jpg

My favourite is doing a whole chicken on a Smokey Joe (good heat and minimal fuel).

Either spatchcocked (with a pizza pan and foil tray as a heat shield)

View attachment 48563

Or a whole one offset lower in the bowl

View attachment 48562

And as said by others the Go Anywhere has a better layout for indirect which works as well - I just prefer the smokey joe as don't have to fold out the weber GA feet
View attachment 48564
Soooo, did the ga feet bite you back ?

Back