Smokey, Dark Salsa?

GrantT

TVWBB Pro
One of the things I miss greatly from when we had our place in Mexico was the the dark, smokey salsa that was very common in restaurants, taco stands etc.

I've tried smoking onion, tomato, jalapeno, garlic etc and it just never comes out right.

Anyone have inside knowledge on how this could be made?

use this as a base.

you could also fire roast your tomatoes and jalapenos (and garlic too, in aluminum foil with evoo). toast the guajillos and a few chile de arbols (heat!) and then rehydrate in warm water for 20 mins. blend the peppers with a little but of the chile water and then add your roasted tomatoes and jalapenos, add salt and fresh line juice. when all is blended, add in some chopped white onion, if you want onion and enjoy.

hope this helps.

Use the onion and roast it as well. Slice it thickly then roast in a dry pan, as in the video above, till nicely charred. Cumin adds smoky notes as does dried chipotle or moro chiles (in addition to or instead of any other chiles you are using).

I found this when first posted, but just got around to watching the YouTube video. Looks very impressive. I agree with Brett to use both anchos and guajillos even though the video says guajillos and seems to show anchos. I think some people use either but I've found for my chili that both is better.

I'm posting a summary of the video recipe in Odds & Ends.

Revitalizing this thread a bit because I'm making salsas today and I just bought some pasillas. Since @K Kruger saays "any other chilis" and that fits my style, I'll use them, but wonder if any one has personal familiarity of pasillas vs anchos or guajillos (my favorites). I figure @Brett-EDH or @GrantT likely have thoughts on this.

Revitalizing this thread a bit because I'm making salsas today and I just bought some pasillas. Since @K Kruger saays "any other chilis" and that fits my style, I'll use them, but wonder if any one has personal familiarity of pasillas vs anchos or guajillos (my favorites). I figure @Brett-EDH or @GrantT likely have thoughts on this.

I always use either with other stuff to make sauces or salsa. Flavors are very different between them.

If you want heat, chili de arbols are your friend. You can mix them into any salsa or sauce.

If you want a hot hot sauce, I can share a chili de arbol recipe. It has 100 arbols in it. It’s very, very spicy. Like opens your brain up and let’s cold air in when you eat it with tacos.

Thanks for that link Brett. I usually use anchos and quajillos a lot but recently saw a recipe that has me interested in pasillas also. After reading your link, I also found this helpful link:

I'd be very interested in your chili de arbol recipe as I have a large bagful that I've been working my way through. I also used to use habaneros at times, but have found that I like habanero powders and sauces as more controllable. (That after nearly disabling myself by over doing the habanero.) Also, the sauces in particular are easily found around here in various habanero-like varieties (ghost, scorpion, etc). Some are directly edible, some you may not want to do that to yourself. Some you can use half a bottle, some a few drops. The sauces also make it easier to taste the flavors as long as you know of any other ingredients.

guajillo and ancho peppers.

the guajillo gives that smokey and deep red.

it's more than smoking the tomato, onion, jalapeno and garlic. i'll dig up a recipe for you that'll be easy to follow.
Another lesser known chile pepper with a smoke forward taste is the chipotle meco.

You can buy them dried/whole or in a powder.

Back