Smokewood + Leaves?

John W

TVWBB Member
I have some mulberry trees on my property and I'll get some limbs from time to time that I can use for smoking. I also get a lot of leaves from the mulberries in the fall. What is the consensus on using dried leaves from the trees that the smokewood comes from for smoking food? Is it toxic or just more of a waste of labor since they would burn up quickly? Leaves would give a quick burst of smoke, but I could see that ashes flying up into the food would be a problem in a WSM smoker, and quick flare ups from the leaves catching on fire whereas that is not the case with smoke wood.

I haven't tried this yet since I haven't really found any information about it yet. Maybe I'm missing common sense issues here though, especially with the ashes and fire involved :) It's probably more trouble than it's worth, but it would be a nice renewable source of smoke from season to season.

Does anyone have any thoughts on this?

Thanks!

In my opinion, smoke from burning hardwood is pleasant, but smoke from leaves stink.

I guess it's kind of like a cigar, which are leaves. Some people like it, some don't. Not in food for sure.

Last edited:
I grew up burning leaves in the fall at my grandparents' house. I love the smell since it reminds me of that, but I compost now as well. Much better for the garden and the air.

Yep, kind of a nostalgia trip for me too.
The other day, while starting my charcoal fire, I threw a few leaves on, just to get that memory rush.

I still burn leaves and all the garden cuttings in the fall. Bring on the global warming. I'm doing my part.

Back