Smoker temp for chicken?

Aaron Buys

TVWBB Member
What pit temp do you guys shoot for when doing bbq chicken? I think the beginner recipe on this site just says to let the smoker run with 100% vents which I'm guessing comes out to around 300+ degrees. Anybody know the "ideal" temperature? (I know...loaded question =)

IMO I don't think there is an "ideal" temperature as goes the same with anything in BBQ just as long as it is kept over a safe temperature.

I smoke chicken in some shape or form every weekend (getting some thighs ready for today) and I shoot for 250 as with butts and briskets.

On the WSM, I just dump in a chimney of lit coals, put in an empty foiled water pan, and open all the vents wide open. Usually, though, I cook bbq chicken on the kettle indirect. In that case, the temp over the indirect area is around 375.

Are you smoking a whole chicken (3-5 lb range)?

I've smoked 2 4 lb'ers (whole chickens) and kept the temp in the 270* (at the lid) range, give or take 5*, and it took about 3 hours.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Lew:
On the WSM, I just dump in a chimney of lit coals, put in an empty foiled water pan, and open all the vents wide open. Usually, though, I cook bbq chicken on the kettle indirect. In that case, the temp over the indirect area is around 375. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

+1, and I have been known to crack the lid to get it up even higher.
Just let 'er rip, tater chip!

Aaron

The slower you cook the bird or pieces of it the more smokey it will taste. I prefer chicken less smokey so I'd remove the water pan and cook at least at 375. Actually I also cook most legs and breasts on my kettle indirectly.

Le Stubby

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Les Stubby:
Aaron

The slower you cook the bird or pieces of it the more smokey it will taste. I prefer chicken less smokey so I'd remove the water pan and cook at least at 375. Actually I also cook most legs and breasts on my kettle indirectly.

Le Stubby </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

That's a good idea too.

I guess to the op just try a few different ways and see what you like.

Ya gotta figure... you're just roasting a chicken, but you're doing it outdoors instead of your oven. Standard roasted chicken recipes are usually about 400 degree or so.

I don't even check the temp. Just fill the two baskets that came with my kettle up with hot coals, couple chucks, open the vents and close the lid.

I cook them on my kettle. I'll even put the chicken in an actual roasting pan with the pan and the rack and put it right on top of the grill. Keeps all your chicken drippings from getting on your grill, and it's easy to lift out when it's done. But that's on my 22.5 Performer.

Yes. Cook at high temps. I also do the compound-butter-under-the-skin thing. I tend to cook well over 400.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Dave (Scottsdale, AZ):
I have yet to get crispy skin on my WSM. Any secrets to that? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'll second Kevin's suggestion. For truly crisp chicken skin you want true HH, not just "300*+".

For HH smoked chicken with crisp skin though, I'd prefer to butterfly a couple of broilers and grill indirectly on a kettle, though. If I wanted to cook more than that, I'd put a pair of birds on each of my kettles, with less charcoal and less trouble than with my wsm.

High Heat on the WSM on top Grate for a while. To get the smoke flavor. Then Remove pan, and drop to lower grate to give more crisp.

Would that be a good idea? Last time I actually just smoked chicken for a while, then moved pit over coals.

Back