Smoker fried chicken

CaseT

TVWBB Platinum Member
Had 8 legs to cook up. Been craving oven fried chicken, so decided to ramp up the heat in the 14" WSM and use it as an oven. Got the fire going, ran about 400°. Put a 12" cast iron pan in to heat up. While that was happening in a large plastic bag I made a dredge of flour (1/3 cup), salt, pepper, chipotle powder, garlic powder, onion powder. Probably a teaspoon of each maybe a bit more. Threw the leg in the bag and shook to cover. To the hot cast iron I added 1/3 cup Crisco and allowed that to heat up ad melt. Shake off each leg and add to the pan. Cook for 30 minutes, then flip legs over. Cook for another 15-20 minutes or until they internal temp is 165°. I like my legs a bit extra crispy, so I usually don't pull at 165°. I do check to make sure they are at or above. I let them roll a bit longer until I get the color I want.

46799785812_308a2f0ee1_c.jpg

46126810364_7b31443bc1_c.jpg

Those legs look great Case, Barb and I do something similar when we make grilled fried chicken but haven't used a CI pan for it, got to give that a try.

That looks delicious, Case! I definitely going to have to try that.

Yum. Those legs look great.

Those legs look great Case, Barb and I do something similar when we make grilled fried chicken but haven't used a CI pan for it, got to give that a try.

Thank you all!

Rich, I also will do The smoker fried chicken minus the pan and oil. I just wanted the extra grease this time around. My mom made this oven fried chicken all the time when I was growing up. Two-three times a month. So it's a big comfort food for me.

Back