Smokefire Second Wave Buyers Help Desk

Rich, my CC is 5 years old and in great shape. Your CC is cool and should last a long time. My back just keeps getting worse so I'm selling down to only the Smokefire if it keeps working the way it has. I want to find out how well it handles a long smoke and how well it does Jerky on Smoke Boost. The last thing I'll sell will be my Camp Chef. It's a great backup.

no problem If I got an EX4 or 6 then I would have to go out and get a smart phone to run it and learn how to us it, give up my flip phone .... no way!
Agree! While I still have my flip phone I do have two smart phones. The flip phone is superior for calls. I purchased an electric smoker tyat was supposed to be manual capable. But no. Looking to give it a good home. Or maybe a bad home. Thought of using it only as a plate warmer was not mean enough.

Hey no problem Lew, Barb keeps me in check so that isn't a problem. If I got an EX4 or 6 then I would have to go out and get a smart phone to run it and learn how to us it, give up my flip phone .... no way!

If it weren't for Firmware updates, you actually wouldn't need a SmartPhone for the Weber and could just monitor it and the food with your Maverick. If you do ever venture down the SmokeFire road, you could probably use any old smart phone unactivated and just on WiFi to deal with the first big and occasional updates after that. I am an iPhone guy, but years ago had a Green Mountain Grill which worked better with Android, so picked up a prepaid droid device for like $30-40 and never activated it, but used in the fashion I described.

So...I tried to call Weber this morning to get the updated welded auger and ran into a sorta rude customer service agent from the start and then got the "We're not sending out parts unless you have a definite problem" line. I informed her that when I do encounter temp problems, due to her response, I would likely request to return the grill rather than accept replacement parts since it should have come with the updated auger to begin with and they've been giving the parts to others without hassle. I also asked to speak to a supervisor and am waiting for a call back.

Not 100% sure what I'm going to do when I do run into problems getting to high temps. I'm a little frustrated at the moment, but I may insist that they do an in home repair. Calling in before the problems started, I was going to happily install it myself.

Why would you need a smart phone? Wouldn't most any tablet do the same thing? It's not like the grill is waiting for a call. Using a phone with no service on your Wi-Fi is the same as using a tablet.

So...I tried to call Weber this morning to get the updated welded auger and ran into a sorta rude customer service agent from the start and then got the "We're not sending out parts unless you have a definite problem" line. I informed her that when I do encounter temp problems, due to her response, I would likely request to return the grill rather than accept replacement parts since it should have come with the updated auger to begin with and they've been giving the parts to others without hassle. I also asked to speak to a supervisor and am waiting for a call back.

Not 100% sure what I'm going to do when I do run into problems getting to high temps. I'm a little frustrated at the moment, but I may insist that they do an in home repair. Calling in before the problems started, I was going to happily install it myself.
Before I purchased, I called to make sure I could get the newer parts without issue if the one I got didn’t come with them. This was Thursday or Friday last week. I was told they would send them out when I got the grill with pretty much no questions asked.

As I set the grill up yesterday, the wire for the glow plug was not firmly attached so I called up to get it replaced. While doing so, I mentioned my previous call and asked about the parts. Different story this time. I was told that since “the majority of users are experiencing no issues right now, they are only sending out parts for people that are having problems.”

Why would you need a smart phone? Wouldn't most any tablet do the same thing? It's not like the grill is waiting for a call. Using a phone with no service on your Wi-Fi is the same as using a tablet.

You just need something that will run their Weber Connect app. I guess I assumed poorly that those with flip phones probably aren't embracing the tablet market heavily, so a prepaid smartphone or someone's years old that's being replaced would be the cheapest route.

Good point Jason. I do have a tablet I could us. But then again I'm very happy with the Camp Chef.
Barb is the one that wants to step up to a smart phone for herself which we are going to do. It would make her online banking and bill paying a lot easier. Plus for shopping and many other things she does she wouldn't have to us her desktop all the time.
After spending 36 years in the phone industry my old mind set it's a phone.... period. 😉

Last edited:
There is not an app for a tablet/iPad. Only iPhone or Android.

I had no idea. My tablets have all round some form of Android. I wonder why they would exclude it to smartphones. Maybe there's not enough personal privacy intrusion they can mine on a tablet.

Last edited:
There is not an app for a tablet/iPad. Only iPhone or Android.
Most tablets are either Android or Apple IOS. Unless you buy a Microsoft Surface. So any Apple IPad or Android tablet will work with the SF app and IIRC MS even has a bridging app now for the newest Widows 10 for the Surface to be able to run Android and some Apple apps. You don't NEED a phone to work with it

Most tablets are either Android or Apple IOS. Unless you buy a Microsoft Surface. So any Apple IPad or Android tablet will work with the SF app and IIRC MS even has a bridging app now for the newest Widows 10 for the Surface to be able to run Android and some Apple apps. You don't NEED a phone to work with it
Where do I find that app for my iPad? I didn't find it on the Apple app store.

Where do I find that app for my iPad? I didn't find it on the Apple app store.
Weber connect in the App Store

Weber connect in the App Store
Good thing you knew. I certainly didn't as I don't drink the apple kool aid LOL

I now have it on my iPad and it will not pair up and the app hangs up. Fortunately the Android version on my phone works fine but that app is really lacking. 2 years from now they might have it doing what we want. It is not designed for someone who wants to run their own cook and use the app to give us the tools and information to do so.

Back