Smokefire Second Wave Buyers Help Desk

Lew Newby

R.I.P. 1/26/2024
I again apologize for hijacking Bruce's $200 Off thread. :(

Bruno offered to help me dial in the EX6 that will be delivered Thursday afternoon so I tried to come up with a cute(NOT) title. I'm going to ask my questions here and I hope others will feel free to join in with their own questions. Also, I hope anyone who has been through the Smokefire gauntlet will chime in here with tips and advice. Maybe we'll build our own users manual.

What should I check for when unpacking to know if I have the latest mods?

Folks posted that they didn't use the hopper finger guard and didn't have feed problems. Good idea or bad? I removed the safety grate from my Camp Chef.

Assembly tricks?

Does the WIFI only work on a 2.4 Ghz signal?

I got the call to schedule delivery while typing this. I am stoked. My first NEW pellet grill. 😁😁:ex6:

Congrats Lew your going to have alot of fun.
I was doing a online order check of a EX 4 with cover and pellets but it would not give a veterans discount on a sale item. I may just go to the store and get it.

Just finished assembling mine. There were two updates for me. I have a Netgear Orbi that is mixed 2.4/5 and it connected to WiFi after the first update. After the first update my phone lost connection and I had to repair it to the controller to do the second update.

My question is how to go about getting the welded auger and hopper ramp and if Weber is accommodating or will there be a bunch of hoops.

Congrats Lew your going to have alot of fun.
I was doing a online order check of a EX 4 with cover and pellets but it would not give a veterans discount on a sale item. I may just go to the store and get it.
Were you logged into your account when you did that? Maybe I just got a good break.

I again apologize for hijacking Bruce's $200 Off thread. :(

Bruno offered to help me dial in the EX6 that will be delivered Thursday afternoon so I tried to come up with a cute(NOT) title. I'm going to ask my questions here and I hope others will feel free to join in with their own questions. Also, I hope anyone who has been through the Smokefire gauntlet will chime in here with tips and advice. Maybe we'll build our own users manual.

What should I check for when unpacking to know if I have the latest mods?

Folks posted that they didn't use the hopper finger guard and didn't have feed problems. Good idea or bad? I removed the safety grate from my Camp Chef.

Assembly tricks?

Does the WIFI only work on a 2.4 Ghz signal?

I got the call to schedule delivery while typing this. I am stoked. My first NEW pellet grill. 😁😁:ex6:
I believe the grill uses a 2.4 GHz signal. I recall reading that somewhere. When installing the update, keep you phone near the grill and don’t let the screen sleep on the phone. It is a little annoying but I have found it the best way to ensure the update goes through.

I definitely recommend removing the finger guard.

On another site someone mentioned that they are only giving out the new parts of people are having difficulties. The new auger is a black auger that is one piece. There is a Rev E and a Rev F motorwith the Rev F being the newer one.

Were you logged into your account when you did that? Maybe I just got a good break.
Lew yes I was ,and maybe you just got a break, I wonder if any folks got a veterans discount on a walk in buy? That would be interesting to know. That would offset a cover purchase.

Last edited:
I believe the grill uses a 2.4 GHz signal. I recall reading that somewhere. When installing the update, keep you phone near the grill and don’t let the screen sleep on the phone. It is a little annoying but I have found it the best way to ensure the update goes through.

I definitely recommend removing the finger guard.

On another site someone mentioned that they are only giving out the new parts of people are having difficulties. The new auger is a black auger that is one piece. There is a Rev E and a Rev F motorwith the Rev F being the newer one.
Thanks for the info. My WiFi extender in the garage is 2.4 GHz which is what the Rec Tec controller uses. I’ll remove the finger guard.

I called weber last Thursday to request the upgraded parts for the EX6 I bought the day before and they said absolutely.. no problem and sent them out . Scheduled to arrive tomorrow.
Thanks Joel, good to know.

Lew yes I was ,and maybe you just got a break
Sure wish it had worked for you.

I called Weber this morning to ask about the auger and hopper ramp. Same as stated above. I told them that I was hoping the EX6 would have come with them, asked if I could request them, and the guy said no problem.

[QUOTE="Matt Q, post: 905230, When installing the update, keep you phone near the grill and don’t let the screen sleep on the phone. It is a little annoying but I have found it the best way to ensure the update goes through.
[/QUOTE]
This works

In all honesty here, I removed the hopper ramp because it’s just lazy not to mix them up every now and then, I also like the 22 pound capacity so you can add a full bag when you get low.
I received the black welded auger but never put it on, glad I have it in case, but everything works perfectly so why mess with it.
The real upgrades for me are on the firmware and app.

In all honesty here, I removed the hopper ramp because it’s just lazy not to mix them up every now and then, I also like the 22 pound capacity so you can add a full bag when you get low.
I received the black welded auger but never put it on, glad I have it in case, but everything works perfectly so why mess with it.
Thanks for the info. I’m going to put some UHMW tape on the ramp and see if it helps.

I have the insert attached but may do the same. How many hours do you get, Bruno, before you have to push down the pellets?

I have the insert attached but may do the same. How many hours do you get, Bruno, before you have to push down the pellets?
7-8 at least, I like to check on stuff even at night so it’s all good for me.

7 - 8 sounds good to me. Until I waxed the inside of my Camp Chef hopper I was only getting 4-5 hours. I'm in the delivery time window and every sound outside like Santa is here. 😁

7 - 8 sounds good to me. Until I waxed the inside of my Camp Chef hopper I was only getting 4-5 hours. I'm in the delivery time window and every sound outside like Santa is here. 😁
Going to wax the hopper on my Camp Chef just to see if it makes a difference. I can see the grin on your face from here enjoy your new Weber.

Back