Smokefire Mod - Not Mine

C'mon guys, it's just rapport and differences of opinion. Not a personal affront. :) My Traeger buddies are constantly busting my balls because I grill like a cave man.

I also think blue is the worst color for a grill because there is no blue food.

Last edited:
C'mon guys, it's just rapport and differences of opinion. Not a personal affront. :) My Traeger buddies are constantly busting my balls because I grill like a cave man.

I also think blue is the worst color for a grill because there is no blue food.
I’ve yet to try steaks directly on the coals, but it does look darn tasty! Dig hole, fill with coals, enjoy

I’ve yet to try steaks directly on the coals, but it does look darn tasty! Dig hole, fill with coals, enjoy
I've been wanting to try that. I'll stab a Meater into it and connect it to my wife's phone just so I don't feel like a total troglodyte.

Shane, I hear you. Loud and clear.

Just as TVWBB is full of ideas for mods to the WSM I thought this would stimulate creative thinking and someone might come up with a better idea. We have several owners here that want to improve what we have because our grills produce great tasting food. I don’t cook with what Weber should have done. I cook with what I have.
Lew, I apologize that my intent must have come across wrong. I sometimes focus too much on the whole idea it should just work for anyone. However, to those that have a SmokeFire already, you are right, this mod is an ingenious idea and it would be cool if someone improved it. Somewhere a balance between nothing and a concrete vibrator exists for those that want more assurance. C. Lewis‘ idea about rigging to the low pellet sensor is a good one.

I‘m a huge Weber fan, I want the SmokeFire to succeed, I tried it twice for a reason and have bought two other Webers even after losing my patience with the SmokeFire. Part of me just wants to believe if owners yelled loud enough, Weber would change something and ship updates out to existing owners, but it’s been out 18 months and it’s been a long time since the last hardware update was made, so any hopper redesign is probably going into the next product.

I don't get deleting the thread either people mod all kinds of Webers. On my performer I have the new lid bale sprung for the stainless charcoal baskets have stainless gbs grates others add a slow and sear so if someone wants to mod their Smokefire so they can sleep at night and not worry about pellets bridging on long cooks and it works it solved a problem. Whether its a problem that should have had to be solved is another topic but as Lew said he and others have to work with what they got.

That’s it now I’m pissed!!

Just kidding of course.
You own a blue grill, don't you. :ROFLMAO:

The pellet skin is thin on this forum. I'll refrain from commenting on pellet machines from now on (mostly :LOL:) . I just thought it was rapport like I have with my pellet vs charcoal buddies. We're always going back and forth and nobody gets insulted over it. It's just a grill . . or a machine of the pellet variety.

Last edited:

The pellet skin is thin on this forum. I'll refrain from commenting on pellet machines from now on (mostly :LOL:) . I just thought it was rapport like I have with my pellet vs charcoal buddies. We're always going back and forth and nobody gets insulted over it. It's just a grill . . or a machine of the pellet variety.
I couldn't agree more! I'm always going back & forth with friends that only use their gas grills & think charcoal is to slow to prepare meals, etc. Now I have to spar with the same friends that have moved up to pellet grills as well as gas. It's all in good fun, with everyone having the same common goal, a good or great meal amongst friends.

I couldn't agree more! I'm always going back & forth with friends that only use their gas grills & think charcoal is to slow to prepare meals, etc. Now I have to spar with the same friends that have moved up to pellet grills as well as gas. It's all in good fun, with everyone having the same common goal, a good or great meal amongst friends.
Yeah, the majority of my $1,000 Traeger grill friends use their pellet machine 5x a year. I grill 25x a month. It's fun dragging my Master-Touch to their BBQ and showing them how it's done. :ROFLMAO: No electricity, no fan motor, no augers, no computer, no wifi, no "troubleshooting". Just charcoal and a classic Weber kettle. The wives are usually raising eyebrows over the performance of my $50.00 used grill.

Last edited:
Yeah, the majority of my $1,000 Traeger grill friends use their pellet machine 5x a year. I grill 25x a month. It's fun dragging my Master-Touch to their BBQ and showing them how it's done. :ROFLMAO: No electricity, no fan motor, no augers, no computer, no wifi, no "troubleshooting". Just charcoal and a classic Weber kettle. The wives are usually raising eyebrows over the performance of my $50.00 used grill.
$50 used grill with a damn nice, not cheap set up from SNS.
I don’t even get why this is a thing. I use my SF, kettles and Q-320 all the time. I like having variety. I may even fire up the old WSM again one day. Who knows the P vents might add a whole different element on the new BLUE kettle.

8CB40D95-1AAC-4A5D-9BCF-7BC379A3B805.jpeg

Back