SmokeFire issues on YouTube.

Well, I am very much afraid that you are right about what Weber is facing. Doesn't bode well for its future. Holland Grills went under recently. Weber is not invincible, but what a terrible thing to contemplate for the grill world :confused:

I'm surprised Holland Grills lasted as long as the did. Not much more than a glorified outdoor oven. No smoke to impart flavor, all indirect so doesn't make a great steak or burger. I know they had or still have a cult like following, but I wonder how many of the former die hards have a pellet grill now?

I'm surprised Holland Grills lasted as long as the did. Not much more than a glorified outdoor oven. No smoke to impart flavor, all indirect so doesn't make a great steak or burger. I know they had or still have a cult like following, but I wonder how many of the former die hards have a pellet grill now?
I agree. I tried to grill hamburgers and hotdogs on a Holland Grill once. Did not turn out well. Horrible experience.

Just reading through the comments on Amazing Ribs and Meathead had the following to say about BBM's reviews/issues -
I have heard his was assembled by a clerk at Lowes and may have been incorrectly assembled.

I'm very interested to see Max's full review of the SmokeFire for sure.

Oh damn be real interesting of meat head gives it a thumbs up, save Weber’s *** for sure!!

They won't go under they'll just turn into another Charmglow or Charbroil what have you (which they almost are now) and just simply dump Chinese stuff on us (again which a lot of it is). The bean counters will win, they will have their golden parachutes and they'll laugh all the way to the bank

I suppose I would be called a bean counter...I have just been waiting for one of those parachute deals for me, but it never has worked out that way:unsure:!

I suppose I would be called a bean counter...I have just been waiting for one of those parachute deals for me, but it never has worked out that way:unsure:!
I don't place you in the same pot. You're a CPA but not a corporate "yes man". We all need bean counters I guess at least once a year LOL.

I was communicating with a Weber customer support rep via email earlier this week but then went silent Wednesday.
This is what I sent this morning...and still no reply after asking for a refund If they won’t admit a problem and commit to fixing it. It is a really simple concept!!!

“I guess Weber is going silent on this. Here is some of Weber’s advertising and some real world pics. The units are clearly not performing anywhere close to the claims of the advertising.”

“Ash wont blow into the cookbox and onto food”
image1.pngReality!!!
image2.png

I was communicating with a Weber customer support rep via email earlier this week but then went silent Wednesday.

It was on Wednesday when I came across one person who said they called Weber and was told they would get back to him in 72 hours. So apparently the silence is going out to everyone while Weber scrambled to get some solution and answers to what's happening. They just don't know what to tell people right now. Since Weber pit out a 72 hour time line I suppose there could be some kind of response tommorow. I'm curious what's going to be said once they start talking again.

Here is another dandy that doesn’t need fit harry’s Narrative of the control algorithm.
Put set to 200F and ran there almost 2 hrs +/- 20F at the largest infrequent swings. Then I check it again and see 230 for the controller pit temp, setpoint at 200F and the meat probe 2” off the grate at 233F. It climbed to 245F on the Weber controller display while still hearing pellets drop before I opened the lid to let some of the heat out. Wasn’t just a temp probe swing the controller was showing the elevated temp but was still dumping pellets. Hope Weber gives me a refund even though I took it “out of the box”. What I really wanted though, was the pit they’ve advertised. Guess if as much work went into testing and engineering as PR and advertising it may haven come out awesome!!!808D05A6-CDFB-4CB3-94FF-041DA10185FC.jpeg

Here is another dandy that doesn’t need fit harry’s Narrative of the control algorithm.
He was guessing on the algorithms and how they work based on the little time he had with one of the grills. Then telling people that's how it's supposed to work without really knowing. Same with everything else he did.

Harry Soo is probably one of the nicest people that you could hope to meet. But given how big his microphone is in the BBQ world I think he went about this on the wrong way. It would be a lot different if he owned a Smoke Fire and had several good cooks of different styles, including long low slow ones with no issues. Then endorsed the product. What bothers me is that with his big loud booming microphone he had a success, and seemed dismissive about everybody else's issues while green-lighting something. that seems a little irresponsible and even crass to everybody having problems with their new $1200 dollar cooker not working properly.

He did say he did everything he could in the time he had, but the time he had was too limiting to green light with the influence that he has IMO. Also I don't think Weber had anything to do with influencing what Harry said. But still, to everyone having problems, it's like
Shots fired across the bow if you will.

Yes, I finally got a chance to see the video I posted. I also noticed that BBM was in the comments and mentioned he and Harry discussed things before the video went up.

Last edited:
I Really like Harry, but that That was hard to watch. Nothing that any of our Bata tester are seeing, a cover up if I've ever seen one.
With all due respect to Harry, his video was a very carefully scripted demonstration that showed the SmokeFire more as a grill than a low/slow smoker. He did acknowledge the pellet and ash problems though but he clearly attributes all other reported problems to user error (assembly, updates, etc). He then responds in comments that it was not his grill, he does not own one, so his opinion is based on Dennis's experience....what a convenient excuse.

I'm sorry but while I respect the man and his skill, he comes across as a denier and apologist for Weber. I again reference the Apple antennaegate problem that was blamed on users holding their phones wrong.

I'm sorry but while I respect the man and his skill, he comes across as a denier and apologist for Weber.

I admit I don't know him personally, but I do believe his take on this is his own and not influenced by fanboy blindness or Weber. But given how dismissive he was about all the issues I also believe that it was disrespectful, and irresponsible to so many that have had problems. I think he will get some blow back on this one, and you can sort of see that in the comments under the video.

I admit I don't know him personally, but I do believe his take on this is his own and not influenced by fanboy blindness or Weber. But given how dismissive he was about all the issues I also believe that it was disrespectful, and irresponsible to so many that have had problems. I think he will get some blow back on this one, and you can sort of see that in the comments under the video.

And now I see this, which may clear up a few things...

Baby Back Maniac
Baby Back Maniac
14 hours ago
Peter Hoehn i understand how frustrating it is. I wish mine worked to. I actually had my first 8 videos planned out And have been daydreaming about them for a month. With that said, Harry Doesn’t edit his own videos. He has to send them off. He filmed this last weekend and A lot of information has come out since then. He’s a good guy whose video didn’t age well. Unfortunately Harry still works 50 hours a week and travels from LA to Sacramento during the week so he doesn’t have time to keep up with things.

EDIT:
More banter from the two

Harry Soo
Harry Soo

12 hours ago
Justin, you and I are enemies. The last time I was at your house in Dallas and I raided your pantry to make the Iron Chef paella, you booby trapped your Primo so when I closed the lid, my paella pan flipped over so you could shoot drama footage of Harry Soo with rice all over his pants. You are a BAD DUDE! :) Also, when you and I were hanging out at T-Roy's house in Austin, you chose to sleep in a hotel room so I could have T-Roy's guest bedroom. I guess that makes us even then!
Show less

Baby Back Maniac
Baby Back Maniac
12 hours ago
Harry Soo Lol mortal enemies.

Last edited:
Just reading through the comments on Amazing Ribs and Meathead had the following to say about BBM's reviews/issues -

I have heard his was assembled by a clerk at Lowes and may have been incorrectly assembled.

I'm very interested to see Max's full review of the SmokeFire for sure.

I just read through the amazing ribs piece and comments. The first cook Max chose to write about was high heat skirt steak fajitas. Interesting choice given they are late to the party and all the problem cooks documented online have been low and slow. Has anyone come across anything from a SF user online complaining about high-heat grilling problems?

I just read through the amazing ribs piece and comments. The first cook Max chose to write about was high heat skirt steak fajitas. Interesting choice given they are late to the party and all the problem cooks documented online have been low and slow. Has anyone come across anything from a SF user online complaining about high-heat grilling problems?
Seriously fajitas?? Get to a freaking brisket!

Yes, but did you RTFM, assemble it correctly and update your firmware??? Because that will solve all your problems! ;)🤦‍♂️
Funny.... maybe my IQ is too low and the pit isn’t so smart it just won’t tolerate operating properly for such an idiot as me. Guess you have to be an engineer, IT guy, nuclear physicist or Einstein for it to not spray ash all over the inside and outside of the pit. lMAO

Back