Smoked Trout

Kevin MM

TVWBB Member
Has anyone ever smoked trout before. My mother keeps asking me to cook it for her and I don't think she will try anymore of my food until I cook trout for her. Any suggestions would be great?

Brine the fish over night(many brine recipes online). I use water,kosher salt, old bay, garlic powder, and black pepper. Make sure you rinse the fish good and let air dry until the shiny "pellicle" forms. I use a small fan to speed the process. Pecan wood works well, I used alder on my last smoke(about 2 small chunks). Be sure to keep smoker as close to 200 degrees as possible. Smoke for 4-6 hrs depending on thickness. Good luck!

Kevin a lot depends on what method you are going to use. There is cold smoking, hot smoking and cooking with smoke. The WSM will not run cool enough on its own for cold smoking like say a Big Chief. I often cook with smoke for salmon and trout just by laying filets on a Weber SS pan and place the filets on slices of lemon so they don't stick. I will salt and pepper the filets, slice thinner lemon for over top and smoke at 250 or so with apple wood until I get flesh temps of 145F. If you have thinner filets they do not dry out and you do not have to turn them. Brining is great too but for me I like the more natural taste and I can do it spur of the moment.

Kevin,

I have done several trout this year and used the following link as my guide. I stuck to around 2.5-3 hrs. @ 200 deg.

http://fwp.mt.gov/mtoutdoors/HTML/articles/recipes/smokedtrout.htm#.U9uCgfldV8s

Here are some before and after of one of the runs. I like to use Pecan chunks as well.

20140420_105840.jpg

20140420_134255.jpg

Kevin,

I have done several trout this year and used the following link as my guide. I stuck to around 2.5-3 hrs. @ 200 deg.

http://fwp.mt.gov/mtoutdoors/HTML/articles/recipes/smokedtrout.htm#.U9uCgfldV8s

Here are some before and after of one of the runs. I like to use Pecan chunks as well.

Gregg how did you brine your trout whole like that? I read the link you posted but not sure I understand your method. The trout look great by the way. I have a whole Manitoulin Island Rainbow in the freezer. I've cooked them like this but I'm always game for other methods.

This is an example of the method I explained above only with fresh Sockeye.

Last edited:
Gary,

I put n the link to show the basic recipe and times as a guide. I mixed the brine and add it to the fish in a large freezer bag, or several if needed. I just remove the gills, gut'em and put the whole fish in. Usually let it sit for 2hrs. and then pat them dry. I put them in a pan just for "transport". I place them directly on the WSM grates for the actual smoke. Down here in PA, the stocked trout aren't that big, so leaving the heads on makes them easier to work with. I've hear of others doing a short smoke for maybe 20-30 mins and then removing the bones. It's pretty tedious, and I haven't been able to get that right yet. After the bones are removed they go back in for the rest of the time. I have to keep working on that one.

Looks like the one's you have are a pretty good size. Whatever works for you, they got a great color!

Gary,

I put n the link to show the basic recipe and times as a guide. I mixed the brine and add it to the fish in a large freezer bag, or several if needed. I just remove the gills, gut'em and put the whole fish in. Usually let it sit for 2hrs. and then pat them dry. I put them in a pan just for "transport". I place them directly on the WSM grates for the actual smoke. Down here in PA, the stocked trout aren't that big, so leaving the heads on makes them easier to work with. I've hear of others doing a short smoke for maybe 20-30 mins and then removing the bones. It's pretty tedious, and I haven't been able to get that right yet. After the bones are removed they go back in for the rest of the time. I have to keep working on that one.

Looks like the one's you have are a pretty good size. Whatever works for you, they got a great color!

I thought yours had a better colour:):)

Bagging the brine...I like that idea.
Speaking of colour I'm going to try your method with this little beauty. Thanks Gregg

I bought one as well. I've hung chicken and sausage but never fish. We usually fry fish down here but smoked trout sounds good.

We beat you to it Dwain. FYI I tried about a 4 lb. white fish...hung through the eye sockets and the head separated at the gills. Smaller fish will hand but there is a limit:)

Some of y'all do amazing work. Me? I made a lot of ash trays in shop class. They weren't supposed to be ash trays, but usually what they ended up being... :eek:

...just cause I can bend and stick a bit a metal doesn't mean I'm a great cook.
It all about the enjoyment of making that meal than everybody wishes they could.:):wsm:

Back