Smoked Salmon...Mmm, Mmm, Good

Lee Morris

TVWBB Fan
Smoked a salmon filet tonight for the first time. Wow!! Very good! If you have been looking to branch out with your smoker and haven't done salmon yet, do it ASAP!

Followed the recipe from the "Cooking Topics" section using the brown sugar rub.

We cook salmon quite often with the wife taking care of the duty with the oven about 90% of the time and with me occasionally taking it to the grill. Totally different (and much better) flavor on the WSM.

Smoked at about 240 degrees with a few chunks of alder wood to an internal temp of 145.

My wife's response after dinner..."Well, there's something else I don't get to cook anymore. No way I can make it taste like that." She kids that she is going to forget how to cook if I keep improving with my WSM and kettle.

Only problem with this cook...no pictures.

Salmon is on my list of things to smoke next. Last night I did some grilled and some blackened sea bass. Both came out great. My girlfriend has given up completely on cooking. Which is a good thing...she wasnt that good to begin with.

It's sure sounded good.One Question, I thought you should never use your WSM for smoking fish,unless you had 2 WSM???Please correct me if I am wrong.....And that been happening alot lately !!!
Regards,
Chuck.

I've never noticed any kind of off flavor after cooking fish on the WSM. I don't have the most sensitive taste buds in the world, but I don't worry about it.

BTW, I love salmon (or any fish I've tried) on the WSM. I use alder or apple for smoke, and it's always fantastic.

Thanks for the reminder!! I'll be doing a salmon cook this week on the WSM. That's a promise. Marianne is trying to stick with a diet plan so I need to get creative
icon_smile.gif

the only thing with cooking fish is cook it on the bottom grate if you're doing 2 types of meat. I had a bad batch come from tilapia over BS chicken breasts - the fat seemed to seep into the chicken & wrecked the whole batch.

IMO Salmon is best raw... but if hot smoking it, 145 is way high for me, I would pull it off at about 135 maximum to keep it nice and juicy in the center. However, you are right, that brown sugar recipe works a treat!

Back