Smoked/Roasted Duck

Chris in Louisiana

TVWBB All-Star
I usually cook duck on high heat on the rotisserie, but this time I cooked at lower temps (250 or so) indirect on the Weber kettle with some cherry and hickory wood.

It took longer, but more fat rendered out, and the meat was really good. I increased the heat to 300 or so at the end to get the skin crisped. It took a little over 4 hours to get to 175 in the thigh.

Served it with grilled romaine Caesar salad, per a Cook's Country recipe I saw on TV. The salad was was a big hit. We've had it twice already.

I smoked a Canada goose over applewood this spring from a Dec. '14 hunt, and it was delicious. Around 275-300 degrees. Brined it for about 4 hours first.

Your duck looks perfectly rendered. Looks closer to dark pork than duck.

I've gotta get on this grilled romain train!

Chris - that looks really good. Do you buy your duck a the grocery or do you have another source? I have a buddy who says he can get me wild ducks occasionally but I have not tried one yet. Looking at yours makes me want to give it a shot. Any tips ingeneral for duck?

Regards,

John

I like the rotisserie way also. before I put the duck on I use a fork and pierce the skin all over so that the fat drains off. This helps a lot.

Back