Smoked Queso Dip

Wow, I'm definitely trying that! As to the hard cheese, that happens if you don't use a binder. I use heavy cream when I make it on the stove and that works. A little goes a long way. I also adjust the flavor a bit because heavy cream dilutes the taste a bit.

I went with Campbell's 40% less sodium cream of mushroom soup. I used to get the consistency I needed.
Last 2 times I used Campbell's regular cream of mushroom soup.....and the queso was very salty. The chips have salt on them too and it was just too much. It is super easy to get too many toppings in the queso like fried veg and a protein. I recommend just adding a little bit of everything. The pics I took are accurate, I wouldn't put more than anything I did in there, the cheese portion really stood out. This was my best yet, a bit smoky, not so much for me but for others it was pretty smoky......I used hickory this time to see how it worked out. Next time I would use all the same ingredients and use a peach wood for the smoke. This will still get that smoke flavor but just dialed back a touch.
I am sure other Mexican style spices would be good too, I have a thing for that gringo grande spice from killer hogs.....it really does well in this dish.

Making queso again this tomorrow.....I have made it a few times now since but now that I have the recipe I like nailed down it comes out great every time.
Having some of the boys over for beers and food.......
Beef ribs, I found a pack at Costco a while back I am thawing...cut into single rib pieces....have never done that cook before I hope they turn out greasy like the rack usually does.......
Queso, red beans n rice and ceaser salad.....should be a hit.
Use the E6 for good smoke and good available space......thinking of wrapping the ribs once bark looks like tar.

I have only cooked beef ribs in multi bone format before....any tips on singles I should be aware of or should it just be the same????
Ribs look large.....cut nicely with lots of meat on each side of the bone.....I don't have them in front of me for pictures....sorry.

Last edited:
I found little benefit to making a quseo loaded with ingredients......so I keep it pretty basic...
I may have written it out a while back but here is the simple version....and of course I am considering a couple things as options.

1lb block of Velveeta
I have the almost 1lb block of pepper jack cheese ( 400g ), I use at least half of it
1 can of condensed 40% less sodium Campbell's mushroom soup
1 can of Rotel which ever flavor suits you, most of the juice...depends on the thickness you want, you can reserve it or use beer or ??? later
Lightly fried veggies, onion, red pepper for colour and jalapeno.....the red and green stand out in the dip and looks more attractive
Ground pork, browned in a pan but not over cooked, I tried many options, plain ground pork works best for me......I eye up what I need but about 1/2lb works....I use all the fat too.
You can use a tube of chorizo, Johnsonville or something if you want to shake it up
Gringo Grande rub on the pork while frying it up.....it is fairly low on the sodium compared to most rubs
You want to keep the sodium levels down while prepping the pan for the queso......the 40% less sodium soup has enough salt in it for the whole dish....and if it doesn't you can add more...........taking away is really hard. I learned this the first 2 times making it.
Gringo Grande added to the mixture and added once again while cooking. I use this liberally.....no rehydrated chilies in this cook and the Gringo gives off good Mexican flavours.....

Beef ribs and ceaser salad are what they are........
Red beans and rice I wrote out in depth in one of my more recent posts a couple months back if you wanted to look it up.

Options I am considering for the queso include sliced raw jalapeno and fried corn off the cob.
I have never done this and I probably will not try this............

Using mellow wood for smoke, I used peach the last few times with success.

Back