Smoked Pork Butt tastes like ham?

M Strickland

TVWBB Member
A question for everyone. My smoked pork butts usually end up with parts of it tasting like ham. I was wondering why this is?

Also, I was watching one of the bbq contests on TV and one of the judges commented that he didn't like the "ham taste" of one contestants BBQ. Is there something that can be done to increase of decrease the ham flavor?

Mike

Did you inject it or brine it? That is usually how things can get hammy tastin...
wsmsmile8gm.gif

Quick response! Looks like a real time chat going here!

No, I did not inject or brine it. After thawing, I rinsed it and than washed it off with cider vinegar, slathered it with mustard and then put on a dry rub. Of course, the dry rub had some salt in it, but no cure.

Put is on the smoker right away. 225 to 250. Took about 10 or 12 hours.

I've had this happen a couple of times. Sam's pork butts.

Mike

OK I think that answers my question.

My rub has about 3 tbs kosher salt per cup. As far as I know, that normally isn't too much, so the only thing I can think of is that the butt must be enhanced. I'm putting on what will stick to the mustard, so I don't think I'm using too much.

I may just leave the salt out of the next one. I have one more butt in the freezer,

I just thought of something... I remember that the price I paid was quite low, so that's why I bought several. I'll bet they were enhanced! That's why the price was so low! I was paying for salt water.

Mike

Take a look at the label. It should say enhanced if it is. Otherwise, the combination of salt and sugar in a rub will give a hammy result to pork. I don't like the hammy taste in Q either; I don't use any sugar in my rubs (or very very little). You can use sugar in your glazing sauce at the end of the cook. By then the pork already cooked.

If it is sealed in cryovac package like a beef brisket then it is prob. enhanced with salt already. That is ok but dont put too much more salt for a long period after that with pork..If possible buy it fresh and not cryovac wrapped like that, also do not rub to far in advance or the meat will start to cure giving that ham flavor...Buy fresh, and sprinkle yer rub an hour or so b4 you smoke...
wsmsmile8gm.gif

Restaurant Depot, IBP, Excel...'round here they ALL come in cryovac and are all unenhanced unless something's changed. (Kroger and Tyson ARE enhanced and I won't smoke 'em.)

I rub and sometimes inject up to eight or nine hours before smoking butts or briskets. I've messed up and ended up with hammy (enhanced) ribs, I've never had a butt end up with this taste that I can remember.

IBP is owned by Tyson. Walmart likes to sell salt water at meat prices meaning it's enhanced. Unless it's an old school butcher cutting up hogs, it left the packing house in a cryovac.

Just wanted to point out, I have learned so much on this site not just about smoking but cooking and meat in general. I never would have thought “enhanced” would make so much difference. Now I know why my first batch of ribs that were cryovaced just came out ‘meh’ to me. After that I picked up babybacks from the butcher counter, wow what a difference.

Thanks to all!

PS if you are in MI, IL, IN, OH or KY Meijer has great fresh pork butts / shoulder all the time.

I’m in MI and pick up my BBs from Hiller’s butcher counter.

Hmmm if there is not one already, maybe we should get a section going of good meat resources by state?
wsmsmile8gm.gif

I buy cryovaced ribs all the time that aren't enhanced. Check the label it should say whether or not it is enhanced.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Konrad Haskins:
IBP is owned by Tyson. Walmart likes to sell salt water at meat prices meaning it's enhanced. Unless it's an old school butcher cutting up hogs, it left the packing house in a cryovac. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yep. Just to clarify though, the IBP brand pork isn't enhanced as is the Tyson, although Tyson bought the IBP brand. 'Round here, IBP still has a better reputation for fat content. Recently, a couple different meat guys from two different Sam's stores both basically told me the same thing. They both said that lots of "bbq guys" will ask about it and leave empty handed if Sam's is out of IBP butts or ribs and down to Excel, their secondary source. That reaffirms my own experiences so far. Smoked some RD butts on the weekend that were on sale, and I bet they were Excel. Weren't as well marbled as IBP usually are.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Bob Sample:
I buy cryovaced ribs all the time that aren't enhanced. Check the label it should say whether or not it is enhanced. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

there you go I just learned something new AGAIN. thanks I was under the impression that cryovac'd = salt water always.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Yianni:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Bob Sample:
I buy cryovaced ribs all the time that aren't enhanced. Check the label it should say whether or not it is enhanced. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

there you go I just learned something new AGAIN. thanks I was under the impression that cryovac'd = salt water always. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Bob's right.

Also, don't be fooled. Lots of stores simply remove butts or ribs from cryovac and put in styrofoam to wrap as a single unit.

Back