Smoked Pig Shots

Cliff Bartlett

R.I.P. 5/17/2021
I've been wanting to do these things for a long time. Over the weekend I had an opportunity to watch the G-men and Tampa game. I wanted something to munch on so I thought Pig Shots. Kind of silly I guess. Only did a dozen, but what the heck. I set one of my kettles up to do a smoke. Had a heck of a time with the bacon. I needed thick sliced bacon and the bacon I had in the freezer (Bob's bacon) is too thinly sliced. Bit the bullet and bought a pound of the thick stuff in town. Still ran into trouble. It was just too fatty and had trouble getting the cups to stay closed. The bacon kept splitting and pulling free. Anyway, I stuck with it and finally got 12 cups that worked, barely.

These guys have a small piece of smoked sausage in the bottom of the bacon ring. On top of that I placed a cube of mild cheddar.

enhance

Next comes some softened cream cheese that was mixed earlier with 3 tbsps of your favorite bbq rub.

enhance

When they're all stuffed I sprinkled the tops with chopped onion. A final dusting of rub and they're ready for the smoker.

enhance

Placed on the smoker/kettle for about an hour and a half. Threw on some apple wood for smoke.

enhance

enhance

Pretty darned tasty. My wife really liked them too.

enhance

This is a recipe from Jeff's Smoking Meat. Aside from the problems with the bacon this was a fun cook. I don't know if I liked the better than the ABT's, but it's right up there. I'd put them together the day before next time and have them ready to go when guests arrive. Thanks for looking everyone!

Tasty! I like to use thin cut bacon, but I also use kielbasa. I cut a 1/2'"+/- thick slice of kielbasa, then wrap the bacon around that and skewer through the sausage. Add the cheese filling on top of that. Should hold together nicely.

I've added a ring of jalapeno on top of the kielbasa then the cheese filling.

For the cheese filling I mix cream cheese, and grated whatever cheese I want (cheddar, pepper jack, blue cheese, etc.) and the rub or spices that I am using.

Back