Smoked Meatloaf ala Bob Correll

John Sp

TVWBB All-Star
Hello All,

We are having a lazy Father's day around here so I decided to channel my inner Bob Correll and try out a meatloaf he posted about recently. After seeing his cook, it went right to the top of my gotta try it list. So here it goes...

Meatloaf (1lb Bulk Bratwurst, 2lb Hamburger, Bread Crumbs, Egg, Worcestershire, and Chopped Water Chestnut) - Check Out My New Cutco Chef's Knife - Thanks Kids!

On the WhoDat Mini with Empty Diffuser and Hickory Running About 325

Mid-Cook

Resting (Glazed with Five Sauce for the Last 25 Minutes)

White Corn (Soaked in Water for About an Hour) Added with Water in the Diffuser Now

Plated (Drizzled with Five Sauce)

Wow - this was the best smoked meatloaf I ever made. It was moist and very flavorful. The corn was a great accompanyment and the family enjoyed it a lot. The only thing I found lacking was the smoke ring but that was probably due to the high heat and relatively short cooking time. Bob's idea to use bratwurst in the meat mixture is pure genius. It defintely added texturally and boosted the juiciness. I was not able to pick out the flavor of the wurst but it definitely kicked the whole flavor profile up a notch or three. Five sauce made a great glaze. I probably should have kicked the heat up a bit at the end to set it better - but it came out fine. Next time around (and there will be another time very soon), I plan to dress this up with a bacon weave just for giggles...

Thanks @Bob_Correll and thanks for looking.

Regards,

John

Great looking meatloaf. Like you, this one has now moved up near the top of my list of things to try.

That looks too good not to want to try. Wonder if I swapped the brat part for Italian........ Nice cook John!

Every time I see smoked meatloaf I swear I'm going to do one soon. Yours looks fantastic. Bobs idea of mixing the sausage in is brilliant . And the bacon weave sounds killer. Post pics if you do that.
Love the new chef knife and speaking of kitchen gadgets, what do you call that pan you used for the meatloaf?. That looks intriguing and I couldn't find one with a quick search. Great post , John.

Love the new chef knife and speaking of kitchen gadgets, what do you call that pan you used for the meatloaf?. That looks intriguing and I couldn't find one with a quick search. Great post , John.

Frank - My wife gave it to me as a birtday gift a few years back. I think it came from Amazon. I did a search and found this which is not the exact same thning but very similar. I especially like that mine has a removable handle - it fits perfectly on the mini with the handle removed...

Bob - I make smoked meatloaf with Italian Sausage frequently. It is good but not as good as this was...

Regards,

John

Last edited:
Great looking meatloaf John,between you and Bob,Ya'll got me convinced I have to try this recipe. What's this five sauce you speak of?

Love the new chef knife and speaking of kitchen gadgets said:
Frank - My wife gave it to me as a birthday gift a few years back. I think it came from Amazon. I did a search and found this which is not the exact same thning but very similar. I especially like the removable handle - it fits perfectly on the mini with the handle removed...

Bob - I make smoked meatloaf with Italian Sausage frequently. It is good but not as good as this was...

Regards,

John

Last edited:
...what do you call that pan you used for the meatloaf?. That looks intriguing and I couldn't find one with a quick search. Great post , John.

Frank - I found it at Academy Sporting Goods. It is an Outdoor Gourmet - they had it in my local store but I don't see it on their website...

Regards,

John

speaking of kitchen gadgets, what do you call that pan you used for the meatloaf?. That looks intriguing and I couldn't find one with a quick search. Great post , John.

Frank,

It may not be identical, but our local Meijer store carries that style pan in their grilling supplies section. Ours wasn't any more than $10 or so.

Back