Smoked Leg Quarters

K Nelson

First post with action shots so I hope this works. This weekend I decided to try a recipe from Chris Lilly's "Big Bob Gibson's BBQ Book." I was a little too focused during all the preparation and didn't take enough shots in the beginning. Here's one of the OTG in action:

And after about an hour and forty-five minutes pulled them when their internal temp hit 175:

Plated with some wild rice and broccoli:

Overall they were very good but the hickory wood the recipe called for was a little overpowering. Any recommendations for a milder wood for chicken?

The thing to remember about chicken, and poultry in general, is that it soaks up smoke like a sponge, so you either have to use less smoke wood, or milder woods. I don't know how much hickory you used for the smoke, but if it was me I would probably use 1 small chunk of hickory and 1 small chunk of cherry. I came across some peach and apricot wood last year from Western Wood and it is very nice with chicken and turkey.

Thanks for the wood tips Bruce. I used one decent sized chunk of hickory at the start of the cook and the chicken certainly soaked it up. Next time I'll try a different route.

edit: spelling

Last edited:
Ditto Bruce. Live and learn. Nobody gets the right amount smoke when they start Q'n. Looks like you need more r&d, ie-excuses to cook! Looks great.

Great looking chicken!!! Beautiful color. I'm going through the same thing with smoke. It really is a learning process. Cliff

I appreciate all the feedback. Still have a lot to learn but wanted to contribute something as I enjoy learning from this community.

KN the bird looks excellent, wish I had a bite right now. The fruit woods and some say Beech seem to be preferred for fowl as said above. I use Apple all the time for it.

K chicken looks perfect! For Poultry I use Apple or Cherry. Hickory for Pork. Mesquite for Beef

Nice color on the chicken! I always go with apple, cherry or peach with fowl and do so with one or two small chunks as a little goes a long way with fowl.

Don't you love it when the smoke boils out of those kettles like that? You know it's something good coming. Again, great color on your bird man.

Don't lift the lid...

Nice looking chicken and sides!!! Any fruit wood will work. I really like using mesquite charcoal when grilling chicken. I don't add any wood chunks when I use it though

I over smoked some chicken when I first started when we were having guests over. How mortifying. I use a little apple wood now and they turn out good. Also sometimes,don't use any wood and get a nice barbecue flavor but the flavor of the chicken is more prominent.

Back