Smoked Kraken

j biesinger

TVWBB Platinum Member
I dig octopus, but sourcing them can be tricky. I usually pick one up when in Chinatown NYC, as they usually have frozen 5 pounders somewhere. But if you've ever cooked a 5 lb octopus, you know it looses a ton of water weight and ends up pretty meager.

Tried of playing around with little guys, I order up a case of octopi rated at 8 pounders from a friend who supplies restaurants with high quality meat and seafood. The case ended up at two 9 pounders and one 15 pounder!

Here she is in a cambro with her head, beak and webbing trimmed off. It was pretty cool because the suckers were sticking to the cambro and my hands.
image.jpg

After a few water changes, I blanched it in a large stock pot
image.jpg

To get her tender, I managed to just squeeze her into a 2 gal ziplock bag and run her sous vide at 160 degrees for a little more than 7 hrs. I poked her with a knife and she felt nice and tender but not mushy.

I threw her on an 18" wsm, and smoked her with a little lump and some alder wood chip. I tried to keep the temps under 200 since she already was cooked

image.jpg

We served her with chimichurri
image.jpg

Sliced
image.jpg

The texture was not unlike a firm scallop, but my daughter preferred the crispy tentacle tips
image.jpg

Extra Tentacles please!!! Love Tako! When I lived in Hawaii I'd have it for lunch almost everyday!

Nice Smoke!

same as Jim Coley, I've eaten it many times, never grilled it or cooked it myself...
looks Perfect Jeff!
love this shot ▼

image.jpg

J, your post shows me that I must have led a deprived life, or that I am not an adventurous smoker. The expression on your daughters face is priceless!

Great cook! Doing a whole octopus is something I've never thought of, even though I love the actual food. Thanks for sharing all the details, and those pics are crisp!

Wow - the extent of my octopus experience is with calamari. This looks very interesting and tasty...

Regards,

John

Back