Smoked Country style ribs

Billy W

TVWBB Member
I am going to be smoking some country style ribs on my weber kettle 22.5. I will rub in the morning my cook in the evening. I would assume I can smoke at 225-250 for about 2 hours or so? Are there any other tips?

Thanks

Do you know if they were cut from the loin or the shoulder? Either way, they will take significantly longer than two hours. Go until they are tender to the poke test.

I am not sure what part they are from. When I get a chance I will have to check the packaging. How much time should it take. I want to make sure I plan properly. I thought when I did some searching on the internet it said about 2 hours or until internal temps reach 180-185.

Hey Billy, I would have too also agree with Dave on the cooking time. Check out some of the rib recipes in the "Cooking Topics" for a guide.
Best of luck on your Ribs.

Depends on how thick they are, but at those temps, you could easily be looking at 4-5 hours IMO, especially if cut from the shoulder as those are fattier. Maybe consider cooking higher, 300-350

Thanks everyone for the advice. I will defiantly be watching this cookbthe whole way through.
I do have a question concerning temp control. What is the best way to maintain say 250 degrees. I will be using kigsford blue. Is there a particular number of coals I should start with first? 10 lit with no unlut coals in the kettle? Less lit with some coals unlit? I cooked a butt last weekend song the minions method. I started with 12 lit on top of a 40 or so unlit and had a temp well over 300. I tried adjusting the vents but didn't have much luck. I figured I just had too many coals going. What would be the best charcoal method?

HAH! That's funny....like Déjà voodoo!
I just made SCSRs this evening!
Butt it's too late to post my photos and summary... will do tomorrow.
However, i will tell you that holding a 250ºF temp was quite ez for three hours and the results were spectacular!

I'd recommend that you try what Mary did. Good summary of a good method for smoking on the kettle, and her ribs look stellar.

If you find your temps are too high check to make sure your lid is well seated and choke the vents until the temp starts to drop. When it gets close to target slowly start opening the vents until it stabilizes. Every kettle is different, but I find 25% on the bottom and 50% on the top keeps a solid 225 at the grate...but you will have to fidget with them, especially as the cook progresses.

I also agree with the other posts about time - you need more than 2 hours for sure.

It does look like Mary did a great job!! I contemplated putting my ribs on now as opposed for dinner!!
Couple of questions! Can I start out at the 350 mark? I was thinking if I didn't put much charcoal in there, I wouldn't get the temp that high which would result in a longer cooking at at the target temp.
Now when you say to check to see if my lid is sealed, I can tell you I when smoking, it comes out the top vent and normally from around the seal on the vent side. I did experience it leaking from all around the seal when I had a lot of smoke from cooking brats! I am assuming I do not have a good seal?? I didn't think the lid should fit air tight. I guess I was wrong.

I think it would be tough to get from the 350 range and then drop it easily in kettle, but I could be wrong. I too recently did the minion in the kettle and found out just how much heat 10-12 lit produce.

I am doing BB on Sunday and following Mary's lead of using 6 lit.

You could also foil them for a while to speed things up in the 225 range.

You won't get 100% seal, but you want to make sure the lid is seated properly, if it's off and there is a crack the temp will sky rocket. Some people recommend binder clips like this to get a really good seal, but I don't think you need them...

BindersClipN00004.jpg

I suggest you start with 45 unlit Briqs and 8 lit (turn your weber chimney upside down for the smaller amount) making sure they are totally ashed over before placing them all on one side of your pile of coals. Give the fire twenty minutes to catch, with the lid on, the top vent fully open and the bottom at 50%. When the temp starts hitting the 250 range at the top vent, close the bottom vent to 25% and leave the top open. When you hit 275-300 at the top close the top vent to 50% and watch the temps for a few mins to see where it stabilizes. It's easier to control temps on the way up than it is to bring them back down.

Trust me, I've done this many times and if you follow these directions it will work!

Thanks for the information! I don't think I have a bad seal because it has never leaked to the point that I thought it was anything other then normal.
Stuart, I am going to try what you suggest! How much of a burn time should 45 unlit give me? I figured 3-4 hours is what I am going to need for the ribs at 250ish.

Thank you everyone for the recommendations! I went ahead and put 30 unlit and piled 8 lit on top of that. Put hickory wood chunks throughout the pile. I kept the bottom vent open 100% until I got to 225 then put it at 50%. I ran 230-260 for the duration of the smoke with no problems and not having to add any coals. 2 hours after I pulled them off I kept the bottom at 50% and the top at 100% and I around 220 or so!!! Excellent!!!
I really appreciate everything!! All this information is great!!!!
Thanks again!!!

Back