Smoked Chicken Help

Chris Sully

TVWBB Member
Hi everyone,

Been a tough few weeks with work and I have neglected my new smoker.

Going to try my second cook on Halloween.

I would like to do a few whole chickens on my 22.

Does anyone have a relatively easy recipe?

The more tips the better.

I assume it will take a bag of charcoal and all the vents open,but that is all I got.

Chris' Beer Can Chicken works well ... even when you don't use the cans.
icon_wink.gif

I've put them on a rack in an aluminum pan and they come out just fine.

well everything goes well with chicken. you can go down the herb/garlic route or the spicy rub way.

For crispy skin go for a high heat cook,but i like the low/slow smoked bird even more,to me smoked tasty chicken or crispy skin. I know the normal HH BCC is good but i still like the low smoked birds more.

For the rub: fresh evoo/salt/herbs/garlic--
Or a butter/salt/chili/paprika/thyme rub will be great. and baste the chicken with the butter during the cook.

Good luck and have fun.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Does anyone have a relatively easy recipe? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Either the beer can chicken or the butterflied chicken listed in the recipe section of this forum. Both are easy, but in my opinion, the beer can makes a better "presentation" to your guests.

Or, try the Roadside Chicken recipe listed on theis site. Wonderful flavors!

Ray

The easiest method I've found is to leave 'em whole and dry brine with kosher inside and out for 1.5 to 2 hours, covered with plastic in the fridge.

You want to use about 1/4 cup per bird and it should be like a "blanket of snow", as Jamie Purvience called it. After brining, rinse thoroughly, and smoke with open vents til the chicken is 170 in the thickest part of the thigh. Rest for a few minutes and enjoy.

I did one like this a couple of weeks ago to chunk for a chicken salad we wanted to take for the weekend at a cabin, and it was really good. The dry brine really helped in terms of moisture, and there's no spices to distract from the natural flavor of the bird. Just use good smoke and pull off the cooker at the right time, and you can't go wrong.

Poultry does better at high heat.
As far as recipes go,you can do anything from simple salt and pepper,seasoned salt only or whatever seasoning combination strikes your fancy.
Marinades are great too. Italian salad dressing,ranch dressing,spicy ranch dressing,balsamic vinaigrettes,etc. The skies the limit with chicken.
Just go easy on the smoke wood. HTH

Awesome, Thanks everyone.

I think I will do the beer can chicken.

Will cooking times change a lot if I go from 2 to 3 birds?

I don't think going with 3 vs. 2 chickens should matter much on cook time.

I did beer can chicken last week and used the 16oz. Budweiser cans and they worked great. Helped prop the birds up better than the 12oz. cans. Also threw some garlic, chopped onion and cider in the beer cans and they came out fantastic. Really tasty.

Good luck.

Back