Smoked Chicken Enchiladas

Michael Richards

TVWBB Emerald Member
With some guidance from Rich, I made my first ever homemade smoked chicken enchiladas. Started with a brine of salt, sugar, a homemade fajita rub, and some Knorr Granulated Bouillon Tomato Chicken. Then as the pit was coming to temp sprayed it with oil and fajita rub. Let it cook at 300 until done. Then made the homemade red sauce recipe Rich gave me. By the way, I had the kitchen messier then I have had since we moved in 5 months ago. Put them together and top with Monterey cheese. Into the over for a few minutes and onto my plate with homemade Mexican rice. They were fabulous, my wife really liked them!20200517_141532.jpg20200517_174637.jpg20200517_175729.jpg20200517_180413.jpg

Nailed it, Michael! That looks fantastic! Glad it turned out well for you, and if the wife is happy, you done good! :)

Rich

That's a great looking plate of food! Thanks for sharing the pics. I got hooked on Chili Gravy (basically Chili powder & brown gravy) and having a tough time going back. I do love enchiladas! What do you add to your rice, the red sauce? I never get "Mexican Rice" right.

Looking good, Barb and I always have a tray or two of homemade enchiladas in the freezer for a quick meal. Throw some rice in the instant pot with the tomato bouillon and spices and do up some quick refried beans...Good stuff.

That's a great looking plate of food! Thanks for sharing the pics. I got hooked on Chili Gravy (basically Chili powder & brown gravy) and having a tough time going back. I do love enchiladas! What do you add to your rice, the red sauce? I never get "Mexican Rice" right.
So I have to share how I have got to my Mexican Rice recipe, my other major hobby other then cooking is coaching an elite Boys middle school age travel soccer team. We have a beautiful level of diversity on the team and half of our players families are not originally from America, but rather from Mexico, Honduras, Guatemala, El Salvador, Columbia, or Brazil. I sucked at making rice before they took me under their wings and have given me so many lessons. We were planning to have a rice tasting competition at the end of the spring season, but the current situation has put that on hold. So after many lessons over the last two years, below is Tsunami Rice (Tsunami is the name of our team).

Tsunami Rice
2 cups rice (we like brown over white, but both work, we have used long grain, Jasmine, and basmati)
1 TB EVOO
2 cloves garlic (crushed and finely chopped)
1 packet original Sazon
1 packet Sazon with Tomato (some only use of the the two Sazons, I use both.)
1 tsp Granulated Bouillon Tomato Chicken
1/2 tsp chili powder
1/8 tsp cummin
1/8 tsp Chipotle chili powder
1 cup chicken broth (you can go more chicken broth and less water or go just water, it's up to you)
3 to 4 cups water.

Over med/high heat start with oil add rice, 1 to 2 mins add garlic, 2 mins add all the seasoning, 1 to 2 more min add 4 cups liquid, broth and water. Cook the rice how you like. I have learned from my team that you boil it the whole time on med heat. When the liquid is thinning out test the doneness add more liquid if need, but as I learned do not stir it at all, a fork at the end to fluff that is it!
I have tried tomato sauce/pasta many different ways, but have decided don't like that. Some on the team say this is too much seasoning and salt and tone it down, but everyone except our family from Brazil is in agreement about the flavor profile. Hope this helps, I have no clue if this is what others would call Mexican rice, but for our house and soccer team, Tsunami Rice is almost as good and our Tsunami team (8-0 in the fall 39 goals scored, 8 against, league champs).

That's a mouth watering cook right there Mike. Looks delicious. Thanks for sharing the rice recipe and the nice story behind it. I will give it a try. I have a lifetime supply of Sazon, thanks to a misguided Amazon purchase. :cry: Actually, mine is with Corriander and Annatto. I imagine that would work.

So I have to share how I have got to my Mexican Rice recipe, my other major hobby other then cooking is coaching an elite Boys middle school age travel soccer team. We have a beautiful level of diversity on the team and half of our players families are not originally from America, but rather from Mexico, Honduras, Guatemala, El Salvador, Columbia, or Brazil. I sucked at making rice before they took me under their wings and have given me so many lessons. We were planning to have a rice tasting competition at the end of the spring season, but the current situation has put that on hold. So after many lessons over the last two years, below is Tsunami Rice (Tsunami is the name of our team).

Tsunami Rice
2 cups rice (we like brown over white, but both work, we have used long grain, Jasmine, and basmati)
1 TB EVOO
1 packet original Sazon
1/2 tsp chili powder
1/8 tsp cummin
1 cup chicken broth (you can go more chicken broth and less water or go just water, it's up to you)
3 to 4 cups water.

Over med/high heat start with oil add rice, 1 to 2 mins add garlic, 2 mins add all the seasoning, 1 to 2 more min add 4 cups liquid, broth and water. Cook the rice how you like. I have learned from my team that you boil it the whole time on med heat. When the liquid is thinning out test the doneness add more liquid if need, but as I learned do not stir it at all, a fork at the end to fluff that is it!
I have tried tomato sauce/pasta many different ways, but have decided don't like that. Some on the team say this is too much seasoning and salt and tone it down, but everyone except our family from Brazil is in agreement about the flavor profile. Hope this helps, I have no clue if this is what others would call Mexican rice, but for our house and soccer team, Tsunami Rice is almost as good and our Tsunami team (8-0 in the fall 39 goals scored, 8 against, league champs).
Sweet! I've printed this and will give it a go. Thanks Michael!

Tsunami Rice
1 TB EVOO
1 packet original Sazon
1/2 tsp chili powder
1/8 tsp cummin
3 to 4 cups water.

That's a mouth watering cook right there Mike. Looks delicious. Thanks for sharing the rice recipe and the nice story behind it. I will give it a try. I have a lifetime supply of Sazon, thanks to a misguided Amazon purchase. :cry: Actually, mine is with Corriander and Annatto. I imagine that would work.
The one with Corriander and Annatto is the as my friends would say El Original, that is the one you want to start with. But now you are getting me into the weeds of this rice battle, almost everyone starts with this and some use tomato sauce or a little pasta and say that the other Sazon with tomato is not needed, but I have not like any of the attempt I have tried with tomato sauce or pasta. Other rely on more Granulated Bouillon Tomato Chicken and others leave it out, so, I and my family love what we have landed on and if you play with that base recipe I think you will be able to find our rice recipe.

Tsunami Rice
1 TB EVOO
1 packet original Sazon
1/2 tsp chili powder
1/8 tsp cummin
3 to 4 cups water.

So I told my wife that I shared this story today on the forum and she said, "But you have to them how and why they started to teach you.", So on the wife's orders...
We were at our first (late summer/early fall) tournament fall 2018 and we all brought food and I eat everyones' rice but like nothing else and during our last game on Saturday, a playoff game, you know when I am coaching, my wife started to talk to the families about how I am a great cook, but can't make rice to save my life, that I love it, but can't make it. So after we won, they called me over to ask me how I make rice and as I shared my lack of methods they started to laugh and share that rice was like 101 of cooking and how surprising I could not make rice. So Sunday Morning after our first game a win in the quarter finals my learning on rice started. Even my players were trying to give me advice on that first Sunday.

Looks great! I just pulled out a chicken to make enchiladas. Think it will go into the 14.5" WSM today and pulled tomorrow.

Looks great! I just pulled out a chicken to make enchiladas. Think it will go into the 14.5" WSM today and pulled tomorrow.
The smoked flavor mixed with the Mexican spiced rub come through so well in the enchiladas, the mix of that and the the red chili sauce was so good. From seeing your previous cooks I know your will be as good!

Back