Smoked Bacon Wrapped Meatloaf w/cheese potato's

Jeff J

TVWBB Member
I finally got my CL acquired WSM dialed in the way I want it, and did a few test runs, so time to put it to work. This is my first WSM, and I am amazed at what a great cooking instrument this thing is. I shouldn't have waiting for a CL popup, I should have just bought a new one 2 years ago.

Tonight's cook was a 50/50 split. The meatloaf was excellent, the potato's not so much. But, this is how we learn to perfect our dishes, eh?

Started with 6 Red potato's diced into 1 inch cubes. Seasoned with S&P and Olive Oil...

IMAG0643.jpg

Next, time to get my weave on....

IMAG0644.jpg

Meat ready to be loafed. 1lb Angus 80/20, 1lb ground pork, 1/2 onion, 2 eggs, 1/2 cup bread crumbs, and 1/2 cup BBQ sauce...

IMAG0646.jpg

Fine looking fattie right there....

IMAG0651.jpg

Onto the WSM at 275. Potato's were on the bottom rack, nekid for now...

IMAG0654.jpg

2 hours in, added 4 cups of casserole cheese to the spuds...

IMAG0659.jpg

Internal temp at 150 so why not sauce it up?

IMAG0663.jpg

Finished potato's. They were not good. Took on way too much smoke, and the drippings filled up 1/2 the pan so they were greasy as all get out. I like a little bacon flavor as much as the next guy, but this was an artery hardener. And they had a bitter smoke taste. Foil after an hour next time.

IMAG0664.jpg

But the FattieLoaf was a masterpiece. Perfectly moist, bacon completely cooked, and the BBQ sauce tang was great.

IMAG0673.jpg

Dinner is served!

IMAG0674.jpg

I see that you went for the vegan dinner tonight Jeff. Kidding... Great fattie and love the cheesy taters, even if you didn't. Live and learn.

I see that you went for the vegan dinner tonight Jeff. Kidding... Great fattie and love the cheesy taters, even if you didn't. Live and learn.

What is this word "vegan" that you speak of? ;)

Next time I serve this, I'm keeping a defibrillator close by for sure. Thanks for the kind words.

Plate looks delicious Jeff! You are correct in saying the next time foil after an hour. It will
make a huge difference!

Love those cheese taters!
Will try it and do the foil like you said... Nice fattie...:)

You're right Jeff, we learn as we cook along. I don't have many recipes/ techniques that aren't still being tweeked. Great lookin' plate of goodness!

Jeff- here's my $.02

Taters need the foil to help steam cook. Might I suggest the foil to start the cook and let the final drippings hit the taters. Early on, it's the 'bad fat' that renders out first and should be discarded. When guys do drip beans under a pork butt, it's during the final couple of hours, not the start. You'd get less smoke also.

Great job on the loaf! Your recipe is very similar to mine only I haven't tried the weave. Yet. :)

Jeff- here's my $.02

Taters need the foil to help steam cook. Might I suggest the foil to start the cook and let the final drippings hit the taters. Early on, it's the 'bad fat' that renders out first and should be discarded. When guys do drip beans under a pork butt, it's during the final couple of hours, not the start. You'd get less smoke also.

Going to try this thanks

Back