Smoke wood sources

Jim McKelvey

TVWBB All-Star
Hi everyone -
So I am getting down to the bottom of my first batches of smoke wood – Weber Apple and Hickory. I did not have any problems with the wood per se, but I did find it a bit dirty and lots of smaller chips and pieces in the bag – only a few true chunks. Any recommendations on places to buy a little better quality wood or an online retailer? I have put a call into my “tree” guy, so hopefully that pans out, but I’ll still hv to dry it out and will need supply in the mean time. I’ve seen some people suggest doitbest.com and I can get delivery that is quite convenient with them – how is the quality on their 10lb bags?

Thanks – Jim

No Apple,but I buy mine @ smokinlicious.
Fruitawood is one I need to try as it is highly recommended.
For the money the doitbest one seems like a bargain if ya have a store close by.

Tim

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">people suggest doitbest.com and I can get delivery that is quite convenient with them – how is the quality on their 10lb bags? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>I buy only Hickory and Cherry from doitbest and i like their wood alot!
I have three lifetime's worth of apple...

wow fruita looks like the Hammer.. just ordered some peachwood..got a lotta chunks in the garage that i got from chigger creek and smokelicious, after reading the the fruita site i wonder if any of the wood is any good anymore, guess i need too smoke more..lol.. i read on the smokelicious sit thet u can soak them a little too bring them back too life, but it is an iffy deal..just seems hard too order wood too cook.. what do u all think is the self life on good chunks... finally got SAT off so smokeday is back on... gonna do spare ribs... hope the peachwood makes it on time, may use a chunk of oak with it.. thanx much..

glenn in SC

Our home repair stores (Home Depot, Menards) seem to have a decent supply of chunks around here. I also save trimmings of trees from my property (black walnut, lilac, box elder, mulberry and wild cherry.) I have found crab apple on craigslist and oak in my neighborhood. I'm on the lookout for hickory too but presently my hickory and mesquite is store bought.

I'll second smokinlicious.. Just ordered a box of oak last night to go with my sugar maple. Great consistency on their products in my experience. Just great folks to deal with too..

I just picked up my first order using DoItBest. Shipped to the local hardware store free of charge. Wood definitely appears to be more consistently “chunked” than what I picked up previously at HD and the bags are significantly larger. Pecan, Hickory and Apple chunks for about $25 total. Seems like a great deal - thanks for all the suggestions and dialogue.

Jim

Timely. I typically use smokinlicious. But Fruita has a broader selection for fruitwood. I have plenty of oak, hickory, mesquite. Was running out of fruits so ordered a "fruit basket" to replenish things
icon_smile.gif
Also replenished with sugar maple from SL.

Had some pecan, apple from a forgotten source only a few chunks left.

Thanks for the information! I have been using the big box stores and have been a bit disappointed in the amount of chips in their chunk bags. I just ordered from doitbest using their ship-to-store free shipping. Retailmenot also had a 10% off promotion code for doitbest that worked (sale10).

Personnally i use mostly maple wood so i get my chainsaw and visit the forest looking for interesting trees !!
icon_smile.gif

For fruit wood i use apple and i always ask apple growers... Sorry for the poor english !

Jim,

I say talk about your hobby and need for wood to everyone you know, especially people at cookouts and the like. I recently ran out of pecan wood that had lasted 3 or 4 years when I was at a birthday party for adults. I spoke with the caterer, told him I smoked and was looking for pecan wood, and he said he'd just cut down two pecan trees in his yard and had all the wood I needed. I just got two big containers of 3 inch thick limbs, enough to last a number of years. That's the same way I got my apple wood. I plan to keep talking! give it a try!

Back