Smoke Ribs Ahead of Time

B.Lasky

TVWBB Super Fan
We want to have some friends over for ribs this weekend. Turns out it's my Saturday to work a half day. Can I smoke the ribs a day before? Wrap and finish them the next day?

When I smoke ribs, I almost always have more than we can eat at one time. (It takes just as much charcoal to smoke 2 lbs as it does 20#) After the initial feed, I divide the slabs into meal size portions of the family, seal good and freeze. When ready to eat again, let the package thaw at least partially, unwrap and spritz rather heavily with apple juice and apple vinegar (2 parts juice to 1 pt vinegar), wrap well in foil, and place in 250 to 300 degree anything (grill, smoker, gasser, even the oven) until they are hot again. They always taste like first cooked. To keep them one day, no need to freeze, just refrigerate. Foil, spritz, and heat. Receive compliments.

I have become a GREAT believer in doing ribs, Boston Butts, or brisket before hand. We portion the items, and vacuum pack for the freezer. Re-heated properly, no quality it lost. Most important, meals are on TIME! Nothin' worse than having guests standing around waiting on the meal - bad joo-joo!

Keep on smokin',
Dale53:wsm:

I've done it a bunch of time for tailgates. I'll smoke the ribs on Saturday, get them to pretty much almost being done. Then I'll foil them with some butter, brown sugar and honey, and then I'll immediate throw them into an ice chest to cool them down. This winter in Chicago, I just tossed them on top of the 47 feet of snow we had haha. Anyway, after getting them chilled down, I just put them in the fridge or left them in the cooler wrapped in foil packed in ice. The next day at the tailgates, I'd just put them onto a kettle still in the foil (meat side down) and let them heat up in the foil for a bit, doesn't take too long. Then I'd unwrap them and flip them meat side up and brush a little sauce on them and let the sauce set up a bit.

Turned out pretty awesome every time.

Back