Smoke day/John Wayne’s birthday party

Timothy F. Lewis

TVWBB 1-Star Olympian
After a windy start Friday evening, the WSM settled in beautifully for a full nights whisky barrel stave full packer brisket cook. The morning was absolutely beautiful and the smoker chugged along perfectly. Started at about 8:45 Friday night and this was about noon Saturday...
2481EC3F-528D-4C92-8462-ECC26379BBE3.jpeg
So, after about another hour it reached proper temperature and feel
As well as bark,
2A94C065-63FA-45D0-84D2-8C1F9B75A97F.jpeg
Appetizers,
7DAE65D5-3A4B-4BFC-AB8D-2BE48355015B.jpeg342BE2EC-046F-4B25-89FE-65D025BE7730.jpeg2755FB6A-DC0A-4C34-B72D-A4C163A3CBC1.jpeg
And the money...
CBF900C2-AEFA-4897-8F11-907D80BB9C5A.jpeg
A good time was had by all!

I forgot to mention the whisky barrel wood was a gift from TonyUK and they were incredible as smoke medium! Slightly sweet but, not the least bit too much, I laid the fire out using Harry Soo “smoke wood on the bottom” technique and probably fifteen pounds of Kingsford Competition lit through the door for a sidewinder Minion cook. Went down ab It 8:00 and shook the kettle, decided to drop in maybe fifteen or twenty fresh briquettes just to be safe and just let it ride.

Oh, and there’s about an inch left in the bottle! It was a nice evening!

charcoal baskets under the charcoal grate of a kettle with cast iron on top. inspirational!
Not sure what you mean, the “Texas Twinkies” were on a rack on the straight grill grate.
I had been hit by the “D’uh” stick when I did a bunch of bacon jalapeño wrapped tater tots. I used to make them up on a sheet pan and put the them on the grill one at a time, then it hit me!
Rack ‘em! They all go on as a unit, you can do 40 at a time and get the goods to hungry guests in a much more timely fashion! They might take a couple of minutes longer but, they require much less attention. More time for frost beverages!
The baskets under a CI griddle is all well and good but, not what I did here. Great for smash burgers to be sure!

Last edited:
Not sure what you mean, the “Texas Twinkies” were on a rack on the straight grill grate.
I had been hit by the “D’uh” stick when I did a bunch of bacon jalapeño wrapped tater tots. I used to make them up on a sheet pan and put the th Has on the grill one at a time, then it hit me!
Rack ‘em! They all go on as a unit, you can do 40 at a time and get the goods to hungry guests in a much more timely fashion! They might take a couple of minutes longer but, they require much less attention. More time for frost beverages!
The baskets under a CI griddle is all well and good but, not what I did here. Great for smash burgers to be sure!
my eyes deceived me, I thought that cooking grate was elevated. regrets and fantastic cook. did you watch a JW movie too? my current favorite John Wayne movie is Legend of the Lost w/ Sophia Loren

Andy, my eyes do that to me frequently!
I did watch JW movies either side of the party, that day I was busier than a one legged man at a butt kicking contest!
Pretty much useless on Sunday, tended graves on Memorial Day and have slowed down to laundry today. We celebrate Sophia Loren at the end of the summer, she shares the natal anniversary with my wife, her brother, two other friends and (an old lover, shhhh!)
Time to order a cake for wife’s sons birthday!

Back