Smaller charcoal ring?

Frank Eriksen

TVWBB Super Fan
Anybody with a 22 WSM, ever think about or use the 18" charcoal ring for shorter cooks or to use less fuel? Just wondering...

Frank,

If I'm doing a small cook I just put less charcoal in the 22.5 ring. When I'm done just shut off the bottom vents and always have a little unburned left. Works for me.

Scotty W.

Frank... I use an 18" ring in place of the 22" for all my cooks now. Short and long cooks.
Works good for me.

I have an 18.5" WSM and for shorter cooks, I use less charcoal spread across the grate in an even layer, filling the ring about half full or even less. This worked great for cooking chicken over direct heat with no water pan at all as I was concerned about the chicken getting too hot over direct heat.

Originally posted by Jim Lampe:
Frank... I use an 18" ring in place of the 22" for all my cooks now. Short and long cooks.
Works good for me.

Jim, with the 18" ring do you have any problems with running out of fuel for a long cook on a cold, windy day? Also, can you control temps as good as with the 22"? I'm all for saving fuel so maybe I can learn something here.

Scotty W.

Jim, with the 18" ring do you have any problems with running out of fuel for a long cook on a cold, windy day?
I do not run out of fuel, i use plenty for each cook, sometimes too much.
i don't cook in the wind. i use a wind break or i cook in The P1Gvilion.
I don't do any longer cooks using the 22"WSM than i did when I used the 18" model.
After using the 18" for a coupla years, it did take sometime for me to adjust to and control temps on the 22".
I was either too hot or little heat at all. And I was using the 18" WSM like 8 to ten times each month. So i was REAL used to it.

Now, with the 22" WSM, I believe I found the right combination of everything i do to make the cook a "set it and walk away" cook.
I originally used the 18" charcoal chamber in the 22" only to save K and to bunch it together tighter.
And after that first time, I never put the large 22" ring back in.
I hope all this babble helps.

Jim,

It looks like your P1Gvilion is a shrine to the WSM in that photo.
icon_wink.gif

Back