Smaller Butt Question

Chris in Mi

TVWBB Member
We got a 1/2 pig back in the spring, but I didn't think about when cutting the meat up they split the shoulders. So we have a roughly 3.6lb butt for smokin.

I understand there won't be a huge difference in time vs a 8+lb butt, but as a "rough estimate" how long should I plan for??? I start checking tenderness once internal temp reaches above 195*, pulling once tenderness is confirmed.

Will plan on still smoking Fri night even with the small butt, just want to make sure it won't already be done by 6 or 7am!!!!

With that small of a butt I should have thawed two!!! Oh well....

TY!!!

I did a 4 pounder not that long ago and it took 8-9 hours. considerably faster than an 8 pounder.

Chris it depends on your target temp. If doing an overnight and l&S, a roughly 4 # should take 2 - 2 1/2 per Ib
A 8# would take considerably longer X 2.
Tim

TY!!!!

I usually start checking tenderness once the temp reaches 195*-200*.

I went ahead and pulled the other butt we have out that is also 3.6lbs. So I will have two butts, 3.6lbs & 3.66lbs, going Fri night. Maybe I will wait to put them on around midnight or so??? Most of the time I wake up by 8ish, so should be just in time....

Or would you guys suggest putting them on first thing in the morning? Would probably like them ready to eat by 6-7ish Sat evening.... Would just hate to have the butts holding dinner.

TY!

If I was cooking it I would put it on the grill at 7:00 AM and cook it between 250 and 275. It seems like it would be done around 4:00 and you could foil it and put it in a cooler to rest for a couple of hours.

Chris.
What Robert T said, @ those cook temps. I haven't done a butt more than 6lbs.
I usually kick-off no later than 8:00am, & we're ready to eat by 6:00pm. If it finishes early, no probs. Wrap the butt in foil & an old towel, & stick it in a cool-box. It'll keep hot for a couple of hours easy.
If you think you're pushed for time, just crutch the butt & push it through to +/- 200[SUP]o[/SUP]​f.

It all depends on your methods of smoking your pork. I keep my WSM 22 at 275-285 and then foil after my bark is set somewhere around 170-175 degrees. I pull them off at 200 and I usually cook a 9 lb butt in 8 hours. If the math held true for a 4 lb butt, then I would wait until mid morning at the earliest to put it on. I like to keep in a cooler 2 hours before serving. Everyone has their own methods though! Good luck!

I cook mine at between 250-270, I'll foil at the stall if the bark is set and start bone wiggling and probing at about 195. I don't do night tours so the last 9 pounder I did at 6am done at 6pm. When I do large butts I don't plan on using them the day I smoke them but use them for dinner the next day that way if it takes longer no problem.

TY!!!!

I usually start checking tenderness once the temp reaches 195*-200*.

I went ahead and pulled the other butt we have out that is also 3.6lbs. So I will have two butts, 3.6lbs & 3.66lbs, going Fri night. Maybe I will wait to put them on around midnight or so??? Most of the time I wake up by 8ish, so should be just in time....

Or would you guys suggest putting them on first thing in the morning? Would probably like them ready to eat by 6-7ish Sat evening.... Would just hate to have the butts holding dinner.

TY!

as long as you start it early say 7-8am I'd be shocked if they weren't done for dinner.

TY to all!!!

Smoke went pretty good in Sat. Butts went on about 8am, and were pulled about 4ish. Could have gone just a little longer, but when I pulled them they felt pretty tender with my Weber folding thermometer.... Didn't matter much as they still tasted great!!!

Next smoke in just get 2 weeks!!!

TY again!!!

Back