Small brisket cook time

Roger M

TVWBB Member
Seems to be alot of brisket topics lately but i cant seem to find what i am looking for. I have a small brisket thawing out for the weekend. Its 6.5 lbs untrimmed in the package still. I'm guessing i'm gonna loose about half a pound of fat ( not alot on it) alot of what i am seeing says about 1.5 hrs a pound. Would this still apply being as this brisket is much smaller than what it seems most ppl are getting? I wanted a smaller one for my first to try. Planning on cooking at 225 ish if that matters.

I'd say it is pretty close give or take an hour. I would plan of 8-9 hours to cook it. The hourly estimate doesn't hold true on much smaller briskets. A four lb brisket would not cook in 4-6 hours persay. It would, still take a good 8 hours. Are you planning on foiling? I would, as smaller briskets tend to dry out. Good luck-Woodman

Well supper is done, it wasnt my best work on the BBQ to date. It was a good bit drier than i hoped it would be. It wasnt tough but did require a knife to cut. Bark and smoke ring wasnt impressive. I did foil at 150 and pulled at 195 and then it rested for an hour in a cooler at witch point it was 183. My assumption is the poor bark and lack of smoke is from the small cut getting up to temp faster than a larger one would have. Total time cooking was 7.5 hrs. I will have to try a larger cut next time.

Back