Slow N Sear

For those with the slow n sear, I have a 22inch kettle. I moved to a condo so I am going to try and use my kettle for everything as I don’t have room for my WSM anymore. It’s at my parents house.

I loved with my WSM now having to use water. Can I get away with that too on the slow n sear?

For the record, I bought a SNS back some years ago to let me smoke in my kettle using lump. (it's a no brainer with the snake method using briqs ofc but I'm a lump guy). The plan kind of worked out but it was still some hassle going low and slow this way.

Since then, I bought a WSM so I'll probably never smoke in my kettle again. Still, the SNS is inside the kettle and I use it every time I'm grilling (except on those Vortex days occasionally) and I like it a lot. It makes a clean border of the direct/indirect zones and a rocking searing zone over direct. The product is pricey.. but I would keep it just for grilling every day, love it!

I use the SnS for smoking in my 26er all the time, @Andrew Luis. You're not going to get the same cooking time before refueling and it is easier to control temps on the WSM, even without the DigiQ. I know at some point I'll punch a hole in the bottom of 26er to add DigiQ. After that the WSM will in retirement mode and probably only come out once or twice a year.

BD

So now there's the SNS 2.0, basically the same thing except that the water reservoir is now removable (so that the sear area is bigger) and it has the bottom part like the sns plus. Also, now it's made from 430 grade SS (magnetic) instead of 304 (non magnetic).

https://abcbarbecue.com/product/slow-n-sear-2-0/

What do you guys think? I have the regular SNS and I love it (even more now because it's made from 304 grade SS).

Here is what he wrote today on his FB group. I personally don't have any thoughts one way or another aside from feeling he's the one whom needs to make decisions about design and manufacturing processes based on his volume and market conditions. I would guess he would not make changes that would result in an inferior product experience:

Folks we had a lot of questions yesterday and I know change is always treated like it's... change. I think it's important to get the facts in one location. Here they are:
I have spent 3 years trying to improve the design of the original Slow 'N Sear, reduce cost, and improve our capacity to manufacture.
Over the last 3 years our costs have continually gone UP though we have kept the price the same.
The Slow 'N Sear 2.0 offers the following improvements:
- 20% more water capacity in the reservoir
- 30% more sear zone with the reservoir removed
- Reduced ash buildup in the charcoal basket due to an improved bottom plate pattern
- Reduced warping due to overbored rivet assembly that allows for flex during high heat cooks
We did make a change to 430 SS, which is a bit cheaper than 304 SS, however, we use the SAME GAUGE of metal, which is what's most critical. Both metals have the same coefficient of expansion when heated and similar melting point. 430 SS actually melts at a little higher temp.
The new Slow 'N Sear has the same 10 year warranty as the old Slow 'N Sear and is made of MUCH higher quality material than the porcelain enamelled carbon steel lid and bowl of your kettle. The SnS metal is not the weak link in this equation.
The new design is better and with time I'm confident you're going to love it as much as I do.

I do not play but my Son and his friends have a local band. All their equipment remains here at our house in our unfinished basement. They practice here between small gigs and primarily do pop and classic rock; currently, they are practicing for a hired gig at our County fair in July. We have never made it to Michigan yet but I recall a post or two of yours.

Looks like some cool improvements. I've been pretty close to pulling the trigger on a slow and sear at times. This might nudge me in that direction.

A buddy just got one, waiting with bated breath to hear his impression of the thing.
Fletch, I was hoping to play a few tunes for my John Wayne’s birthday party but, it was 95, humid, scorching and, my banjo player was going on to another party and left his banjo at home.

Back