Slicing Tri-Tip advice needed

Bob Correll

R.I.P. 3/31/2022
After seeing Steve's Tri-Tip cook, and the way it was sliced, it made me wonder if I'm doing it right.

I blast grilled this one last evening:
IMG_0008-1.JPG

and it was not as tender as usual.
Looking at the pic today, it seems the grain is askew.
It did rest for 20 min. before slicing.
AmazingRibs shows slicing in half, then slicing each half across the grain.

I normally start at the small end, and continue towards the large end, like a beef or pork loin, and they have been very tender, but maybe not as tender as possible.

Perhaps the hot fast cook was part of the problem, but I think the slicing was a larger part.

Thanks for any advice from you Tri-Tip Pros!

Unlike most roasts, the tri-tip's grain is not consistent throughout the roast. In order to have all slices cut against the grain, you have to cut part of the roast in one direction and the other part in another direction.

Thanks guys!

They always were extremely tender when I've made them prior, and thought I was slicing across the grain as in this post. .

I make a couple little notches in it before I cook it to keep my perspective on the grain. Like Russell says, the grain on a tri-tip runs different ways in different parts of the roast.

This summer I made a tri-tip from this post: Santa Maria Style Tri Tip It was great! I held my knife w/my left hand and sliced to my left starting with the small side (left side of the 4th picture in the referenced post) and didn't feel like there was a grain issue.

Boy was is good!

I probably sliced at least 200 tri-tips exactly as you did until I realized I was slicing with the grain. I'd bet you 9/10 people slice that way. I've since changed and can tell a difference. Welcome to the DOH! club
icon_wink.gif

Back