Slicing Ribs ?

John Furdyn

TVWBB Pro
Is there a trick to slicing Ribs? Seams like every time I cook ribs, after slicing them they look like they went thru the war. Seams a shame they look so good after coming off the smoker. I'm thinking of cooking them the day before eating them, so I can slice them right out of the refrigerator, then they slice perfectly. This happens to me with Baby Backs or spares doesn't matter. Any advise appreciated. John

What kind of knife are you using? You need something very sharp especially if you are cooking them to almost fall off the bone. I use a Forschner boning knife. Just stand 'em up on end and slice 'em up.

Tom

i let mine rest 15 minutes or more. if you try to slice them right off the smoker/grill they will shred.

I'm using a boneing knife, probably could be a little sharper. I didn't leave the ribs rest, kinda took them off the smoker into the house and sliced them, looks like thats the main problem. Next time I'l let them rest before slicing them. Thanks John

They key is to let them rest 15 or so min. I think more importantly is that you have a good knife. A set of good knives will make all the difference when you are cooking. Not to mention good pans as well.

Edmund
I have good knifes, just have to sharpen some. Also i have to let them rest, i'm too anxious I guess. I don't cook ribs all that often, mainly chicken and pork butt, so my i need some advise every now and then Thanks Happy smoking. john

I find I have a little better luck if I slice from the back (the side the membrane was on). When I slice from the top, that strip of meat right on top (at least on top of the baby backs) is like bark and doesn't slice very easily. I never though about letting them rest, but it has to take me at least 15 minute to get ready and start dinner.

I saw Alton Brown use a electric knife on ribs once. One thought came to mind. That hot knife through butter thing. I don't own one but if I did I would try it, looked pretty slick.
icon_smile.gif

Bryan
I have an electric knife, sounds like a good idea to me. That Alton Brown seams a little goofy but I think he knows what he's talking about. Some peopple say I'm a little goofy so what the heck Thanks John

I have used an electric knife many times, but I now just use a chief knife. Seems to work very well. My ribs don't totally fall off the bone, so I hold the ribs in a 90 deg angle (vs. the counter)and slice.

Sometime I want to try cutting ribs where you turn 3 ribs into 2... cut against one rib, then cut against the third rib.... meaty....

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by John Swanson:
I agree with Jerry. I always slice from the back since you can see the bone better. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Agree. Stand 'em on edge, looking at the underside. That and a sharp knife.

Maybe I missed the sliced ribs as art thing. I always just cut them apart with a sharp knife and eat the meat off the bone.

Back