Size of Lump Charcoal Pieces

KRubinow

I have been using lump charcoal in my WSM 18 for a while now instead of briquettes. Lump charcoal bags come with pieces in all different sizes. I'm wondering if it makes any difference if using large or small pieces, or a combination, in the WSM. Assuming the temperature is maintained properly, I don't see if affecting the meat, but could it have a difference in rate of burn or keeping a consistent temperature?

IMO, lump size does make a difference, it's a function of surface area to volume. Watching this in a chimney starter, lump from the bottom of a bag where the small pies & fines have settle out, should be pretty apparent, as the small bits take a lot longer to ignite and don't seem to develop as much heat.

Same principle is used, but sort of in reverse, in solid rocket boosters. The solid fuel is deposited around the outside perimeter of a rocket casing, and the void profile is selected depending on what sort of thrust profile is desired, i.e. small and buiding, or large and falling.

I've learned to throw the smallest pieces away. The medium pieces are great, of course. Sometimes I will mix them up with briquettes to maximize heat transfer from piece to piece. The monster pieces I pull out and save in a separate bag for my offset.

I usually break the big pieces with a hand axe. The small pieces I use when I want a short, really hot, fire for searing. I do dispose of the dust in the bottom of the bag.

I think size matters for temp control.
I use a hatchet on the larger chunks too.
Sometimes I will use a metal wedge and small taps with a hatchet or a hammer so I don’t disintegrate the larger chunks. Doing that seems to give me more control and less mess.
Anything smaller than a walnut gets thrown out.

Back