Six Rack o’ Baby Backs

Gary H. NJ

TVWBB Platinum Member
A few buddies coming over for Independence Day. 6 racks loin backs, salted and rubbed and on the 22” WSM. I went a bit overboard with the rub ingredients: guajillo and ancho chili powder, cumin, cinnamon, Mexican oregano, black and white pepper, granulated garlic and onion, finely ground coffee beans, raw sugar and some paprika for color. Dinner planned for 4:30 or so. Will let you know…
IMG_1020.jpg

The follow up:
A good time was had by all: ribs, cole slaw, sweet potato salad, Singaporean fish sausage (grilled in banana leaves), baked beans. Dessert was strawberry/rhubarb crisp with green tea ice cream.
Happy Independence Day everyone!

BTW, I never seem to get much of a smoke ring on my ribs. They taste great, but no ring. I use Royal Oak lump, minion method, put the wood chunks on, immediately followed by the ribs. Ribs are out of the refrigerator just long enough to clean, salt and rub, about a half hour before going on the smoker. Any thoughts?
IMG_1021.jpg

That 22" WSM was made for exactly what you are doing. What a perfect fit. Be sure to drink beer. It will keep you unbelievably happy till the ribs are ready.

Can't wait to see the final pics.

Hey, I've still got cole slaw and warm sweet potato salad to make -- can't relax too much just yet.
icon_wink.gif
I made the baked beans last night, along with the strawberry/rhubarb crisp. Very hot today, don't want the oven on at all! Thanks Ernie.

I think that I am going to HAVE to step up to the 22" WSM. The WSM just does not have as much room for ribs as I think I deserve!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I think that I am going to HAVE to step up to the 22" WSM. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Be warned: it's too much fun for some people.
icon_cool.gif

What time should we arrive Gary?
Lookin' great so far!

I sure miss the strawberry/rhubarb pies that my late MIL made for me
icon_frown.gif

Overboard on the rub ingredients?? Strikingly similar to the rub I made last night for a free range filet....was excellent. Coffee and ancho are excellent together.

I put my three BB's on an hour ago. Bunch of neighbors peeking in my yard as the apple and hickory wafts everywhere. I'm south of you in MD, so maybe you'll catch a wiff shortly. Now just clear smoke.

Judging from the fact that we haven't heard from Gary since this morning, I'm thinking he has bitten off both thumbs while grubbing down or you're salivating over some deeply colored loin backs about to come off.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Judging from the fact that we haven't heard from Gary since this morning </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
It's only been two hours! They went on at 12:30...
icon_smile.gif

A bit of a tighter fit with the 18.5. I think ribs need elbow room for proper smoke penetration. Nice looking start. Happy 4th!
icon_biggrin.gif

DSC00351.JPG

I'm detecting smoke ring there. Of course, I've often heard that it requires colder meat for a more noticeable one. Nonetheless, it looks great!

Our ribs turned out really good too. It was followed up with St. Louis gooey cake for dessert.

I've got to say Gary that some of the stuff on your menu sounds a bit strange
icon_smile.gif

But good golly, it all looks great!!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">BTW, I never seem to get much of a smoke ring on my ribs. They taste great, but no ring. I use Royal Oak lump, minion method, put the wood chunks on, immediately followed by the ribs. Ribs are out of the refrigerator just long enough to clean, salt and rub, about a half hour before going on the smoker. Any thoughts? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

briquettes. I think the junk in them gives of more nitrates. its purely a guess, but they seem to work for me.

nice looking plate!

Singapore fish sausage looks awesome. Can you share the recipe.

Smoke ring is a chemical reaction and not tied directly to flavor. If they taste smoky enough for you then that's good.

I think as long as you see some on there it is pleasing to look at and you know they weren't done in an oven with liquid smoke flavor.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Singapore fish sausage looks awesome. Can you share the recipe. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Gary's fish sausage recipe

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Smoke ring is a chemical reaction and not tied directly to flavor. If they taste smoky enough for you then that's good.
I think as long as you see some on there it is pleasing to look at and you know they weren't done in an oven with liquid smoke flavor.
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

ah, if only it were that simple. rings are possible even in an oven.

Back