Silver Bullet Smoke Jacket

Anthony G.

TVWBB Super Fan
Has anyone ordered the (Silver Bullet Smoke Jacket) thermal cover from BBQ Guru?

I was wondering how it is working out?

Not sure if you have a guru or are just looking for wind protection.

Realize that this device can only be used with the guru!! There is absolutely no way for air to circulate if you are not using the guru.

Just wanted to warn you about that.

A, it is worth reading the threads Chris posted in his reply. The jacket seems pricy, probably could construct something near as good for far less at the Home Depot!!

I beg to differ, Stogie, as I have the silver bullet smoke jacket, and I do NOT have a guru, and it works just splendidly in high wind (and high cold) conditions. And it looks soooooo spiffy, too!

But you probably really do need alot of wind or else maybe you WOULD choke the fire.

Only downside is that your lid handle gets dirty.

Susan...

That is great to hear! Just looking at that thing I can't see how it is possible to breathe. Full length and not an air vent to be had.

But....your word is good with me!

Stogie,

I remember reading a post here that said there's a big ol' air pocket at the top. Also, it fits snugly, but not completely tight, so wind blows up the sides nicely.

I've never tried it in still but cold conditions cuz the WSM just chugs along without it just fine (tho maybe you could dial the vents back and save fuel in that case, too).

Rath---now why didn't I think of that? Smoking jacket. Good one!

Sorry to drag up such an old thread, but has anyone used this in the summer? Does it conserve charcoal?
It wasn't real clear from reading the product info on their site.

I used mine only in the bitterest conditions of the Nebraska winter, which was just three times out of 15 or so over the past four months. So as to not restrict air flow, I perched it up higher on the WSM so there was an ample air pocket on top, and made sure there was room for breathing down the sides. Temps were great, air flow, smoke, and delish finshed products. Well worth it for me, not to mention not having to gerry-rig some kind of hot water heater insulation stuff from Home Depot.

My Dad uses his through warm weather, though he hasn't had it long enough to use it in the summer. I usually don't bother to use mine. The primary reason I use it in the colder weather is to block wind and conserve fuel. It's especially useful for those long, overnight cooks. I'd definitly use it in the rain during the summer. That seems like a no-brainer now that I think about it.

Back