Silver B Restore Idea

I agree with Jon. Go ahead and let your fantasies run wild. There are plenty of cheap or even free donor grills out there. If it does not work try something else.

I am definitely having fun with it and allowing my ideas to come to life. I just want something that says, this is a genesis silver, it's built like a tank and it's worth your investment. The fact that everything was grey on it (and beaten up from this grill), just felt like it cheapens how strong these grills are. I am going to put the tables on this weekend after I cup brush the inside of the firebox, install the new burners, and paint the body with some black HH paint / 2x rustoleum gloss, I'm excited for how it comes out and will post the update. I think the burners are going to be here monday, I just wonder what I should try selling it for. I put probably $75 bucks into it for the new burners, igniter, grates and paint. I figured, maybe a custom restore that really pops might be able to make me some of my money back from the previous restore, and pay for the materials for this one. It's not even about the money (aside from parts), it's about not having the heart to throw it away or give it away for someone that has to do the work to it (I don't think there are many Weber fans around me that would really appreciate it enough to fix it up, and i would hate for it to go to scrap lol)

I think prices vary greatly by region. In my area the older Weber models don't sell that high anymore. People are looking for newer designs, SS and closed cabinets. But I have heard other stories from the North East. Check out the local ads to see what people are asking.

I am definitely having fun with it and allowing my ideas to come to life. I just want something that says, this is a genesis silver, it's built like a tank and it's worth your investment. The fact that everything was grey on it (and beaten up from this grill), just felt like it cheapens how strong these grills are. I am going to put the tables on this weekend after I cup brush the inside of the firebox, install the new burners, and paint the body with some black HH paint / 2x rustoleum gloss, I'm excited for how it comes out and will post the update. I think the burners are going to be here monday, I just wonder what I should try selling it for. I put probably $75 bucks into it for the new burners, igniter, grates and paint. I figured, maybe a custom restore that really pops might be able to make me some of my money back from the previous restore, and pay for the materials for this one. It's not even about the money (aside from parts), it's about not having the heart to throw it away or give it away for someone that has to do the work to it (I don't think there are many Weber fans around me that would really appreciate it enough to fix it up, and i would hate for it to go to scrap lol)

I sell most of my restore/flip grills for the $250 range. What yours commands, I really can't guess, but I will be very interested to see where it ends up and how much you can sell it for.

I think you should feel free to have fun with it and see how it all gels. I will say that painting plastic handles and trim is a bit of an iffy proposition. Those of use who have tried it a little have had some disappointments with how it holds up. But, it DOES look good, so I will be very interested to see what you come up with.

Might be okay if its just painted as I commented in my Silver C thread my experiment turned into a disaster but I really believe it was the clear coat that did me in. I had bought an inexpensive grill cover one that Bruce also bought on Amazon it had a couple of flaps for ventilation.

Not sure if it was the material makeup but what happened is I had it covered in the ATL heat pulled it off to use it and parts of the cover had basically stuck to the plastic end caps and some of the handle almost like it melted into the clear and that clear had cured for over 7 days. I have not had problems with the wheels and on my 1000 I painted the knobs and they still look great after almost 2 years could use a respray down the line but I never clear coated the knobs and I use a Weber cover and that material is different.

By the way I actually used Goof Off and after many hours along with a huge amount of cursing I was able to remove all the clear coat and paint and get them back to original condition and left them alone.

Might be okay if its just painted as I commented in my Silver C thread my experiment turned into a disaster but I really believe it was the clear coat that did me in. I had bought an inexpensive grill cover one that Bruce also bought on Amazon it had a couple of flaps for ventilation.

Not sure if it was the material makeup but what happened is I had it covered in the ATL heat pulled it off to use it and parts of the cover had basically stuck to the plastic end caps and some of the handle almost like it melted into the clear and that clear had cured for over 7 days. I have not had problems with the wheels and on my 1000 I painted the knobs and they still look great after almost 2 years could use a respray down the line but I never clear coated the knobs and I use a Weber cover and that material is different.

By the way I actually used Goof Off and after many hours along with a huge amount of cursing I was able to remove all the clear coat and paint and get them back to original condition and left them alone.

Brian,

Thanks for that update. I still want to be able to paint plastic in a pinch where nothing else works. Your update makes me feel better about trying that. If I do, I will post about my experiences as well.

Thanks for that, I love the project and thoroughly enjoyed reading through that thread. It came out awesome! I did a few coats with the hammered silver paint, and will let it dry in the sun a few times to solidify it some more, but so far so good! I have stuck doing some other projects around the house and helping the inlaws, but I will hopefully have the inside of the firebox cleaned and ready to go. It's a shame though, because the lid has some crazy oxidation to the porcelain, leaving a brownish grey speckling all over the black hood. Shouldn't be too much of a hindrance if the inside is good, and the rest of it is clean. I wanna get it on the market by the end of next week , I'm hoping for $175-$200 so I'll keep my fingers crossed.

The hammered silver on the knobs and push button came out a lot better than I expected (these were the knobs from my 1000 that i swapped out when I restored it, and the cleaning just wasn't doing the job.)

Here are the knobs after the second coat:

PsZDCHc.jpg

Those knobs are very nice looking. I am resisting the urge to try painting knobs, but I might have to do it at some point.

Those knobs are very nice looking. I am resisting the urge to try painting knobs, but I might have to do it at some point.

Rusto Satin Stone Gray no clear will get you close to the 1000 knobs and they look nice when painted and no issues but again my theory is the grill cover with the rubberized coating is colliding with the the clear and maybe the paint because of the heat which Jon and I have to deal with, I need Jon to chime in here his Skyline Knob which he painted black was he using the old Weber Cover as the paint rubbed off. I also believe those old covers are way more abrasive than the new ones no problem with no paint but a big problem when you paint the knobs.

This might not be a problem up in NE or MN as you don't get to Jon's and my temps where basically it was not under 90 for about the last 2 months or longer.

Back