Silver B from 1999, smoking ribs

Jeff Padell

TVWBB Pro
I finally broke down and decided to try pork and beef short ribs on my Silver B. I have had the side mount wood chip holder and smaller grate for some time.

I turned on the back burner (3 burner unit) and it at about 3/4 setting it held the temp at 250 steady and then at full it gets me 275. I did the ribs for 2 hours and tossed on a half chicken for the last hour. They all came out great.

The wife said I am a nut for taking pictures of the grill smoking.

IMG_20160522_165908387_HDR_zpsdskkkmbp.jpg

P5020219_zps9128d77f.jpg

So you're a nut? There could be a lot worse. I think it's why mine puts up with my obsession. Though right now I'm down to only 2 working units on the deck. I took the Summit out of commission until I can get that fire box fixed. Rusted out so badly I can see the flames looking into the control panel. So I am down to the Wolf and the Broilmaster right now. Just started really using the Wolf again. Forgot just how nicely it cooks. Just not the easiest to maintain. But all in all not that bad. I'm actually thinking of designing a crossover ignition tube system for it so I don't have to light each burner individually. That gets old. Especially since I have to use a long stick lighter so we shall see what the summer brings on that project. Still having trouble getting going since still recovering from serious case of food poisoning. On my 3rd week of recovery. Literally just cleaned the Wolf and it took so much out of me. Lesson learned here.........................ALWAYS wash fruits and veg ESPECIALLY stuff from Mexico even if you're going to peel it anyway! Soap and water with some bleach! In my case the hospital staff thinks it may have been the avocados I bought at Sam's.

Those plates look mighty tasty from here!

They were really good. It is the first time I got a smoke ring on the Silver B, I soaked the hickory chips and then put some dry ones the bottom and the wet ones on top so it would like them a bit faster.
I was lazy and more importantly busy so didn't want to take the time to fire up the 14.5 WSM, happy with the results.

Ribs look good, I have a 1000LX basically the same grill with just more flavorizer bars. Had it for 17 years and never smoked on it. Never would have guessed it would work that well.

The biggest problem with smoking on the Silvers is the Weber smoke box sits on the crossover ignition so it doesn't get that much heat and it is not able to be regulated. The Weber box is "serrated" so it sits IN the flavorizor bars and has a shorter grate. My first try it never smoked but this time it worked fine, started showing smoke after about 20 minutes.

Sorry to hear about your food poisoning LMichaels.

As for getting smoke flavor on the gasser, I have a ~2001 Silver B & I've used Mo's smoking pouch and have been very happy with it. Nice clean, quick smoke. Just set it on the flavorizer bars... I've set it on the grate several times too.

They changed the opening on the new design about a year ago, mine has 3 snaps, I think I'd like the new design better. I don't use the snaps.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B008UFE364/tvwb-20

81SRBGmJ06L._SL1500_.jpg

Me I just wrap chucks of (wood of choice) poke holes and use that. The other really effective way is use something like a small flat tin (like a tuna can) put your chops or chunks in there and cover with foil. Poke some holes and go. Cheap, quick and effective. I used to have the Weber smoker box on my Genesis and left me MEH. Not so hot. The other thing I like about my current method is I put the pouch on the front burner and the smoke naturally draws across the food and out the back (at least on the Genesis). Last night I just did some gorgeous baby backs on the Wolf. Placed my smoking pouch on the far left burner set to medium, far right on medium and other 4 set to low (the Wolf has a really good low setting and a good gracious it's hellfire high setting it'll get so hot so fast it'll scare you). I had great flavor, very tender and juicy ribs and a nice ring on the meat. I know gassers are not smokers BUT with skill and patience they can be VERY effectively pressed into service. Heck when I had only my Genesis I used to get whole salmons on sale (nice fatty Norwegian ones) and smoke them quite nicely thank you very much on the Genesis

Back