Silver A vs Genesis 1000

Shannon Simmons

Hey guys. I have a quandary and figured some of you more experienced restoration guys might be able to point me in the right direction. For the last couple of years I've been happily using a Genesis Silver A. I love that little grill. It's a nice size. I like the black lid. The only thing that I feel is lacking is heat. It doesn't ever seem to get really, really hot. After about 15 minutes with both burners maxed out, the thermometer reads only about 350 and I can hold my hand just above the grates for several seconds. This isn't usually a problem, and I cook on it several times a week year round. But, sometimes if I really want to put a hard sear on something, it doesn't seem to have what it takes. (That's when I fire up the 22" Kettle. It can always bring the heat!)

vWhnIa4b.jpg
[/IMG]

A couple of months ago I paid next to nothing for a Genesis 1000 (I think that's the model, it's sticker is gone). It needs some work. The flavorizer bars are missing, it doesn't have grates, the knobs need to be replaced, and all the wood is shot (except for the handle, which I hope to be able to salvage). Other than those things, it is in pretty good shape. The cart is rust free, the red lid is in great shape, and the burners appear to be serviceable.

ZnWSdyVb.jpg
[/IMG]

So, what I wonder, not having any experience with the 1000, is would it be a significant upgrade from the Silver A? Realistically, for what it will cost to get the 1000 back into cooking condition I could probably buy a fairly new Spirit. Will the 1000 bring the heat? Maybe there's something wrong with the Silver A and it's not heating as it should?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. And if I end up keeping the 1000, would anyone be interested in trading my red lid for a black one? LOL.

Thanks, Shannon

Likely, you just need to clean up the burners. If they are corroded through, you might need to replace them.

The redhead 1000 three burner would be a nice upgrade over the Silver A two burner.

If you replaced the burners, flavorizer bars and cooking grates, you would be into the grill for a bit over $100 for decent Stainless steel replacements and have a grill that will last you ten years without any problem. You should easily get over 500 degrees on the 1000. I have one and it gets to about 550 to 600. My grill was one that I refurbished and it was in much worse shape than yours.

https://tvwbb.com/showthread.php?71...00-Restore-Before-amp-After&highlight=redhead

Some possible part sources for your Genesis 1000:
Grates: https://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B07DVM8KFK/tvwb-20
Flavorizer bars: https://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B00BI1EYKM/tvwb-20
Burners: https://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B00I9SFTNI/tvwb-20

Last edited:
I actually have both those grills and I use them both regularly. I would have a hard time picking between them.

The 1000 being bigger is somewhat more versatile. It will grill more food and you can do indirect heat better due to the extra burner.

But I really like the silver A too. And it's more economical in regards to gas usage.

My silver A gets plenty hot. Way over 350. I think you have something not quite right with yours. Check your burners and possibly your regulator.

If it was me I would fix your silver A and rehab the 1000. Keep them both!

A new spirit is a good grill but not as reliable and durable as those 2 older grills would be.

Shannon,

Welcome to TVWBB! I lived in Asheville for about seven years and miss it often...

Your Silver A can definitely be fixed to perform way better than what you are experiencing. Probably a burner issue but maybe the regulator. I would start with examining and thoroughly cleaning the burners. If they are truly bad a new set might make a huge difference.

That being said, I also agree with the comments that you could restore and get great service from the larger Genesis 1000. Having both would be even better;)!

Yep what they all said. Of your A is only reaching those types of temps something is definitely not Kosher. What type of fuel is it running on LP or NG? If it is on NG I will lay odds someone just threw on a NG hose on an LP grill. That would explain the low temps

Likely, you just need to clean up the burners. If they are corroded through, you might need to replace them.

The redhead 1000 three burner would be a nice upgrade over the Silver A two burner.

If you replaced the burners, flavorizer bars and cooking grates, you would be into the grill for a bit over $100 for decent Stainless steel replacements and have a grill that will last you ten years without any problem. You should easily get over 500 degrees on the 1000. I have one and it gets to about 550 to 600. My grill was one that I refurbished and it was in much worse shape than yours.

https://tvwbb.com/showthread.php?71...00-Restore-Before-amp-After&highlight=redhead

Some possible part sources for your Genesis 1000:
Grates: https://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B07DVM8KFK/tvwb-20
Flavorizer bars: https://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B00BI1EYKM/tvwb-20
Burners: https://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B00I9SFTNI/tvwb-20

another SSteel grate option for even less $. I've used them and quality product!
https://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B0798LMYGY/tvwb-20

Yah, those are the Uniflasy grates. While they are stainless, they do have too big of gaps and the thickness is not what the Quilimetal grates are. If you need a cheap, but durable solution for something like a flip grill, they will work, but for a personal grill, I would pay the extra money.

Thanks so much guys!

The Silver is over due for a cleaning anyway. I'll fully inspect and carefully clean the burner tubes while I'm in there.

That's good news about the 1000. I'll move forward with the restoration as if I'm going to keep it. Heck, maybe I'll even learn to like the red lid.

Also thanks for the links, that'll probably save me some $!

Yah, those are the Uniflasy grates. While they are stainless, they do have too big of gaps and the thickness is not what the Quilimetal grates are. If you need a cheap, but durable solution for something like a flip grill, they will work, but for a personal grill, I would pay the extra money.

I agree with Bruce. The Uniflasy aren’t half bad but do have pretty wide spacing. That isn’t a deal breaker for me, but I know a lot of others feel very strongly that this a big negative. For $55, the Qulimetal ones are a definite step up in quality. You have to pay a whole lot more than that to get anything truly better - Dave Santana/rcplanebuyer being the only maker I can think of. Now you are in three digits.

In my opinion there is a middle ground in stainless grates. Bbq parts stainless rod grates come in at a little under $100 ( with shipping). The spacing is just as good on these grates as rcplanebuyer. And they are also made in the USA and very high quality.

Dave's (rcplanebuyer) are heavier and the absolute best but they are about $145 with shipping. That's a considerable difference.

What is wrong with the OEM Weber stainless rod grates? I have seen at least a dozen of these
over the last year, and I never thought of replacing any of them.

Dave i don't really know as I've not owned any oem weber grates? I don't know how they are priced either? I do know at one time Lmichaels said the spacing was too wide on those of I'm remembering correctly.

I don't believe Weber sells the stainless rod grates anymore for the old 1st gen Summit or early Genesis grills. If you find a 1st gen Summit on the cheap and it still has it's grates RUN don't walk to grab it even if you throw the rest of the grill in the trash the grates alone are worth it

Larry, is that summit I posted a couple days ago one of those early summits

Bruce,
That one is the second generation. While many lamented that they were a step backward from the first generation, I think they are still very nice grills; they just have some issues to be aware of. The grates on the first generation Summit 4 burner is apparently interchangeable with the early Genesis. To my knowledge that is not the case with the second generation or certainly the horrible current third generation.

Dave i don't really know as I've not owned any oem weber grates? I don't know how they are priced either? I do know at one time Lmichaels said the spacing was too wide on those of I'm remembering correctly.

I believe Larry is correct about Weber not offering stainless rod grates for the older Genesis. I forgot about the BBQ parts.com grates Greg mentioned. They look to be a good middle ground between Qlimetal and rcplanebuyer. The step up from Qlimetal to bbqparts and then to rcplanebuyer are both pretty big jumps in cost. It all depends on your budget and purpose for purchasing.

P.s. The Genesis II grills I looked at with stainless rods had very nice stainless rods. They are a step up from the ones that came with the earlier 300 series. Give Weber that much credit!

Larry, is that summit I posted a couple days ago one of those early summits

No it's a 2nd gen and while they are decent grills the truly great SS grates of the 1st gen were a VERY expensive optional upgrade for the 2nd gen. Also by the 2nd gen there was no commonality to the Genesis 1st generation type and 2nd gen types. The grates on that 2nd gen Summit are longer from front to back so will not fit on the Genesis. The first gen Summits are easily identifiable by the 2 igniter buttons on the top side of the control panel between the 2 (or 3) gas control knobs. If you find those grills for $100 or less and grates are there they're worth the cost just for the grates

Back