Silliest question ever

Bryn Kildow

Got my WSM (cue: serious happy dancing!). I finally had time today to put it together. Should it have a thermometer? Should it already be in the lid or is it hidden in the parts box (legs, screws, racks, etc.) or hidden elsewhere? Mine doesn't appear to have one, though they did include two handle kits for the lid handle.

Pretty sure mine was already installed when I got mine but my kettle had it in a small box inside if I remember right. Its been a while so I may be totally wrong though. Either way it was included.

Where did you buy it?

Bryan Best thing to do is go online order yourself a good one that you can adjust to your meat rack the one I had on my smoker never worked correctly it was always off by 20 to 25° the one I’ve got now is adjustable to the meat rack but email them and let him know that you’re missing parts

It should have one, and Weber should be able to send one out to you. That said, I would only want one because one was supposed to be there. I never even look at mine, I run my Maverick XR-50 probes to the racks for accurate grate temps. When I bought my 22 WSM used, the lid thermometer didn't work so I ordered a new one, just because it bugged me that it didn't work, I really had no plan on using it. I'm a little OCD like that. :rolleyes:;)

Wow! You guys weren't kidding about great service. I sent in an email yesterday, got an auto-response saying that, due to increased interest in grilling, there might be a slight delay in getting a response. Well, that's fine and understandable. That email was at 2:53 local. At 10:22 local, I get an email confirming my order of a new thermostat and bezel (at zero cost). At 10:23, an email from a customer support person letting me know that the parts would be en route and that I'd get a follow-up with a tracking number once it shipped.

I'd call that really, really good customer service! Yes, parts should've all been there, but stuff happens. I appreciate it when the response to stuff happening is the company making it right, especially so quickly. I am so glad I found you guys which helped me to decide on a WSM!

Bryn, that’s a great customer service story! But, if you can’t stand waiting, don’t use duct tape, I’d just make a little plug out of foil and put it in the hole. The goo left behind from the HOT tape would be a bear to clean off. Enjoy your new toy!

Wow! You guys weren't kidding about great service. I sent in an email yesterday, got an auto-response saying that, due to increased interest in grilling, there might be a slight delay in getting a response. Well, that's fine and understandable. That email was at 2:53 local. At 10:22 local, I get an email confirming my order of a new thermostat and bezel (at zero cost). At 10:23, an email from a customer support person letting me know that the parts would be en route and that I'd get a follow-up with a tracking number once it shipped.

I'd call that really, really good customer service! Yes, parts should've all been there, but stuff happens. I appreciate it when the response to stuff happening is the company making it right, especially so quickly. I am so glad I found you guys which helped me to decide on a WSM!
Things go wrong in manufacturing and assembly all the time. First time quality is important, but it's how a manufacturer reacts when they've clearly missed the mark that sets apart a great companies from the not so great. Glad to hear Weber is still on their game.

I swear I was just teasing about the duct tape. :D Having had to clean it off of surfaces It was never meant for...well. Never, never, no, not ever, again!

And thank, John! I'm very impressed with how responsive they were. The good news is that it dumped buckets of rain last weekend, so I wouldn't have been cooking outside, anyway.. Mainly, I'm hoping to get everything together so I can do an epic long first cook the first week of July when the spousal unit and I are on vacation. I waited this long to get the smoker o' my dreams; I can wait a little longer.

Back