Shrimp and Mash - A Shrimp and Grits Hack

Lew Newby

R.I.P. 1/26/2024
I love Shrimp and Grits. My wife won't eat grits but she loved this dish. I wanted to have something similar that we both will enjoy. The quantities in this recipe will feed two octogenarians for 2 dinners so it's probably enough for 2 with healthier appetites. The original recipe called for a little Cayenne but my wife can't handle that.
Shrimp and Mash -Shrimp & Grits Hack
Ingredients
Servings 4
  • 3 cups water
  • 2 teaspoons salt
  • 4 Russet Potatoes - mashed
  • 1 pound uncooked shrimp, peeled and deveined
  • 1 tsp. Old Bay Seasoning
  • 1/2 medium lemon, juiced
  • 1/2 pound smoked sausage, cut into 1/4-inch slices
  • 2 slices bacon
  • 1/2 medium green bell pepper, chopped
  • 1/2 medium red bell pepper, chopped
  • 1/2 cup chopped onion
  • 1/2 teaspoon minced garlic
  • 3 TBS butter
  • 3 TBS all-purpose flour
  • 3/4 cup chicken broth
  • 1/2 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
  • salt to taste

Directions
  • Step 1
    Bring water and 2 teaspoons salt to a boil in a heavy saucepan over medium-high heat. Cook quartered potatoes until tender, 15 to 20 minutes. Mash them and set aside and keep warm.
  • Step 2
    Season shrimp with salt and Old Bay. Add lemon juice, toss to combine, and set aside to marinate.
  • Step 3
    Place sausage slices in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Cook, stirring occasionally, until browned, 5 to 8 minutes. Remove sausage from the skillet.
  • Step 4
    Add bacon to the same skillet. Cook over medium-high heat until evenly browned, about 5 minutes per side. Transfer bacon to paper towels to drain, then chop or crumble when cool enough to handle. Leave bacon drippings in the skillet.
  • Step 5
    Add bell peppers, onion, and garlic to the bacon drippings; cook and stir until onion is translucent, about 8 minutes.
  • Step 6
    Stir cooked sausage and marinated shrimp into the skillet with the cooked vegetables. Turn off the heat and set aside.
  • Step 7
    Melt butter in a small saucepan over medium heat. Whisk in flour, stirring to create a smooth roux. Turn heat to low and cook, stirring constantly, until mixture is golden brown in color, 8 to 10 minutes. Watch carefully, mixture burns easily.
  • Step 8
    Pour the roux over the sausage, shrimp, and vegetables. Place the skillet over medium heat, add chicken broth, bacon, and Worcestershire sauce, and stir to combine. Cook until sauce thickens up and shrimp turn opaque and bright pink, about 8 minutes
  • Step 9
    Spoon Potatoes onto plates and serve shrimp mixture over top.

That sounds a lot like a really nice mild gumbo. Never had gumbo served on spuds but it's something I'd definitely try. Gumbo is like bacon to me:)

I've had some really awesome blackened shrimp and cheese grits once. Haven't tried to make it yet but it's been on my list. Had a recipe somebody linked me to one time, but lost it. I've searched other recipes and found similar but not quite what I was looking for. The recipes seem basically the same but as the proportion of different things that changes.

Looks really good to me! I have come to appreciate grits and can see this going either way! I really love mashed potatoes though!!!
I just copied that and sent out to my granddaughter, she would eat a HUGE platter of that!

Last edited:

Back