Shredded Barbecued Beef Question

CraigN

Hello,
I'm looking to smoke shredded BBQ beef but a little confused on the meat to use. When I go to our beef mart I see chuck eye roast, boneless chuck roast, sirloin tip roast and beef chuck pot roast. I'm confused as all heck.

Any advice on exactly what I need and should ask for. Thanks everyone.

Chuck roast and chuck pot roast are likely the same thing. Either may have bone-in or boneless. Sirloin tip roast is usually a lot less fatty and thus not as good a choice for pulled beef. Chuck eye roast is part of the chuck primal and would make fine pulled beef but is usually more expensive in my area than cuts labeled simply "chuck roast".

Chuck roast and chuck pot roast are likely the same thing. Either may have bone-in or boneless. Sirloin tip roast is usually a lot less fatty and thus not as good a choice for pulled beef. Chuck eye roast is part of the chuck primal and would make fine pulled beef but is usually more expensive in my area than cuts labeled simply "chuck roast".

Yep, buy and use whats on sale for pulled beef as long if it's from the chuck or shoulder. We had a killer deal on chuck eye roasts and steaks awhile back, and I loaded up the deep freeze.
OBTW, welcome to the board Craig!

Tim

The smoke turned out well. The beef was moist and had a great taste. One thing I need to work on is rubs. The rub I used, Salt Lick, was too spicy.

Also, should I have poured any type of liquid in during the smoke?

If its The Salt Lick rub from here in Texas, well that's how we like it but to answer your question I add liquid. I just think it helps keep it moist. Usually do it after the bark has set and many times I'll just use beef broth.

Also, should I have poured any type of liquid in during the smoke?

Did you foil? If so than I'll add a beer and some stock. If you didn't foil, and were happy with the results,:wsm: than carry on.
Biff looks good!

Tim

I've had really good success with beer too. I like to put my roast in a D/O after it reach 170 or so, add the liquid and let it get to around 210. A cup is usually enough. Sometimes here at Costco the Sirloin Tip is equal in price to the Chuck roasts.

Back